Friday, April 24, 2009

Feeling Grateful : )

This blogging thing started out as kind of a lark for me. I wanted to share thoughts, ideas, conversations, and debates with others, but the idea of blogging publicly was kind of a "when I have the free time" hobby.

What's happened instead is that I've realized the tremendous value not just in reading and responding to the comments on my blog (although I love getting comments ... it makes me feel special ... that's not a hint or anything ... well, maybe just a little : )) but in reading and responding to the blogs of others. There are some amazing people in the world with so much to say thinking in so many different directions. Being a small part of that ... it's mind-boggling. It's downright humbling.

The greatest gift I've been given, however, is reconnecting with my passion for writing. I'd sort of been emulating Salinger, hiding in my house writing a bunch of stuff (brilliant stuff on Salinger's part, I think pretty good stuff on my part) that nobody would probably ever see. Because of the people and the connections I've made through this blog, I know that I am not alone, that I have a modicum of talent, and that I will succeed as a writer if I keep my goals firmly in mind and make a commitment to work hard on a consistent basis.

My vacation is over today, for all intents and purposes. When I go back to my day job, it's much easier for me to become overwhelmed in terms of not finding time to write (and I don't mean on this blog ... I mean in general). Teaching is the noblest profession, but it's also among the most exhausting. However, this week has envigorated me in ways I never dreamed could happen, so I'm hopeful that things will continue to move in the right direction.

Thank you, and keep reading : ) I'll be doing the same!

9 comments:

  1. I agree! Getting comments is nice, but reconnecting with putting your thoughts down "on paper" is invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teaching is a very noble profession, and yes, very exhausting. Thanks for all your hard work. :D

    Isn't it wonderful being able to meet new people? I think that's my favorite part of blogging.

    Yay for writing. Have you ever tried setting a goal of, say, 500 or so words a day? For me, having a goal mean the difference between writing and not writing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, thanks for your work as a teacher. I work in an elementary school as an attendance clerk and KNOW the value of teachers. What an awesome calling.

    It is so hard to find time to write while working a full time job, but plugging away, slowly but surely, will get the job done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lenore--Yay : ) Thank you so much : ) And I love your blog!!!!

    Windsong--Yes, meeting the new people has been the best part : ) I have some great friends, but they all know me and my eccentricities, so this is very valuable : ) In terms of setting goals, I struggle with that (it's the whole spacey, ADHD English teacher thing, I think), but it's something I'm going to work on.

    Sherrinda--Thank you for the work you do in a school--I think your job gets even less thanks than mine (and deserves even more!) : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blogosphere. It's the oddest thing. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in lives of those I don't "know", but it is SO great to know that everyone is out there....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, it is so much fun to make new blogging friends. Thanks for visiting my blog and good luck in the contest :)

    One time my sister in law said, "you should be a teacher". I laughed for days on that one. It's not that I thought teaching was funny, I just couldn't believe she thought I had that kind of stamina! I can barely handle my own children. So, kudos to all of you who do so well and serve us mommies. It is appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have the right attitude! There's a point we get to, amongst our struggles, where we know we'll make it eventually if we keep at it. It's a lovely, positive place to be.

    Keep sight of your dreams and make chase. If you don't, you can't expect to catch them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, for 1.5, am glad to have you around. You're a skilled writer. Don't forget it!

    By the way, I would have loved it if you had said, "it's mind-bloggling." Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doughnut Girl--I agree, it's really neat to sort of "know" people through their blogs and explore the different directions things go in and the various outlooks people have. And I'm still craving some fine chocolate : )

    Tess--Many of my former teachers laugh when they hear that I ended up becoming a teacher. I did not exactly fit the mold of what a future teacher should be for a long time, but it truly is my calling, in much the same way as writing is (well, I think so). Your contest is cool--I definitely think you should rig it for me since I never win any drawings (just kidding : ))

    Casey--Truer words were never spoken. Thanks : )

    Justus--I think you're wonderful (and also a skilled writer) : ) Oh, and I can't believe I missed the opportunity to write "mind-bloggling" with folks that would have gotten it. Grrr ... next time : )

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...