Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Coming Up 8s: Suddenly got a Focal Point for My Writing

I have been directed to do this by several of my blogging colleagues. Although it pretty much reminds me of something I'd do on Facebook, I found it to be fun and surprisingly enlightening. I'm not going to recommend that specific people post it or anything like that ("tag" in the Facebook parlayance), but definitely read through it and change my answers to yours, even if you don't write it down.

I've found that I'm feeling much more focused now. Weird : )

8 Things I Look Forward To

1) Going to see Addie's show this weekend
2) My nephew, Edward, being born
3) Getting a pedi, eyebrow wax, haircut, the whole beauty shop treatment--I usually act like a girl for one day or so in the spring, and I'm starting to feel it's really necessary
4) Belle sleeping in her own room (although part of me will miss her terribly when she decides that a crib mattress on the floor of her parents' room is not exactly where it's at)
5) My cousin Terrie's wedding
6) Hitting the beach every day this summer : )
7) Teaching Act II scene iv of Romeo and Juliet tomorrow : )
8) Last but not least, getting my manuscript published : ) : ) : )

8 Things I Did Yesterday

1) Drank coffee from Dunkin' Donuts
2) Scored schoolwide writing prompts
3) Read around fifty pages of Brisingr by Christopher Paolini
4) Edited several chapters of the most recent work in progress. Tried to smooth out some rough transition. Eh ... it's still a work in progress : )
5) Taught some of my students a valuable lesson in the fallibility of teachers
6) Finally paid one of my students the $40 I owed him for a fundraiser (this sounds funny, but it wasn't the money ... I just kept forgetting to bring the check in)
7) Cooked dinner for my mom. (Well, Pythagorus cooked ... I just ate)
8) Put Belle to bed (well, to cracked crib mattress on the floor of my bedroom)

8 Things I Wish I Could Do

1) Ease the suffering of others
2) Get on an airplane without having such severe anxiety attacks that it's just not worth the trouble
3) Make my house look as beautiful as it has the potential to do
4) Learn how to set writing goals for myself. Since writing has been somewhere between a passion and a hobby until fairly recently, the thought of trying to harness and control it is new to me.
5) Write Addie's rough draft for her (she just got back from Florida, has had rehearsal until ten all week, and shows are tomorrow, Friday, and Saturday). However, I have a moral issue with parents doing homework for their kids. Helping is okay. Doing is not. And Addie is a writing prodigy, so she doesn't need my help.
6) Eliminate any potential health problems for my nephew Pete (although, knock on wood, he is doing great : ))
7) Create a wonderful garden with Belle this year. She is very interested in the idea of growing vegetables and flowers.
8) Learn to trust Pythagorus again.

8 Shows I Watch

1. "NCIS"
2) "CSI: NY"
3) "Law and Order: CI"
4) "CSI: Miami"
5) "CSI: Vegas"
6) "The Smurfs"
7) "Saturday Night Live"
8) "Antiques Roadshow"

11 comments:

  1. Cool! :-) I'm not sure I could name eight shows I watch. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on, Litgirl, do it and post it. It'll be fun : ) I admitted to the "The Smurfs" and **cough"Antiques Roadshow"**cough : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did this one a few days ago, too! It was a fun exercise. :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog, and for your thoughtful comment. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! It's always fun to get to know each other better. :D

    Gah! Maybe if it was 8 books I'm reading right now. ;-) I watch the TV series Get Smart every so often (we have the DVDs), but that's about all the TV I watch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Windsong--Yeah, I'd go with the "8 books" thing, too, now that I'm thinking about it. But since you mentioned it, I've never seen "Get Smart" (I'm rather genre-specific in terms of the occasional television I watch) ...what's it about?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hilarious! It's a spoof on detective mysteries. It's clean, no swearing, and makes me laugh. And it's something I don't mind watching over, most movies drive me crazy if I have to watch them again. I'd check it out. I didn't think I would like it at first, but it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, it also has a shoe phone. They were done in the 60s, so cell phones hadn't been invented yet. The one thing that drives me nuts is that the female agent (#99) generally figures things out faster than the guy (#86), but he gets the glory for it. On the other hand, it can be rather funny how they portray it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, this is fun! We might have to steal this for a post later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Windsong--It's now officially on my "check it out" list :) Thanks for sharing!

    L and L--Definitely do it. I thought it'd be stupid, but it got me very much focused. I like Windsong's idea of using 8 books instead of 8 television shows, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My life's motto: I would rather be reading (or writing). ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me too, Windsong, me too : )

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...