Monday, March 9, 2009

Local Politicians

Pythagorus is watching the school board meeting on the local access channel. He's also a city council junkie, but that's a different night. Since our internet is having a nervous breakdown and only one of our computers has internet access (except for Addie's laptop, and I'm not going there) and since Pythagorus isn't willing to move to one of the other seven televisions in the house, here I am. Sigh ...

But still, it's kind of interesting, and certainly a lot to think about ...

Do you think the meetings were different before they were televised? Is there more or less truth? Transparency? Is there something comical about the facade some (not all, but some) of these local politicians put on when they know the cameras are running?

Or am I just strange? (Wait, don't answer that :0) )

1 comment:

  1. For sure politicians put on a front when the cameras are rolling...but doesn't everyone? For example...on my little island we have 'states members'(politicians!)who 'run' it. One of the HIGHEST ranking members made a DISGUSTING, bad taste, thoroughly RACIST remark regarding Pres. Obama. It was made during a political function and someone picked up on it and turned it into the press. Uproar ensued and yet he still kept his job!!!No penalties!!! I am ashamed by how this place is run. Back to my original point...there is no way he would have made that comment if he was on screen or knew it would be broadcast.
    (For the record,my personal view is that President Obama is going to bring the WORLD forward.Not just the USA)
    How different would the world be if EVERYONE acted like they were on the big screen ALL the time???

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...