Sunday, May 25, 2014

Sunday Stealing: Random XV

Sunday Stealing is a weekly event that I've taken part in on and off in my life as a blogger.  It's a lot of fun.  If you are reading this via Facebook, think of it as a note meme or something.  If you're reading this on FB and you do it, please tag me so I can read it.  I'm insufferably nosy.

1. How old is the oldest pair of shoes in your closet?
The newest pair of shoes I have were purchased in September.  You probably don't want to know about the oldest.  Howard the Wonder Dog has thinned them down a bit ... it's funny, he doesn't touch anyone else's shoes, but he chews on mine every chance he gets.

2. Did you buy Girl Scout cookies this year? If so, what variety?
This is a sensitive issue in my house. For one thing, it's the first year Ari hasn't been a Girl Scout, so we had to actually look around.  One of Jeff's students had a little sister who was selling them, so Jeff texted me to ask what to get.  I replied, "Tagalongs, Thin Mints, and Samoas", because, really, those are the best.  He came home with two boxes of Thin Mints and said the kid messed up the order.  I have murkier suspicions...

3. Do you know how to ballroom dance?
No way.  I can barely do the Macarena.  I am scared to death of dancing and look like a clumsy elephant when I try.

4. Were you a responsible child/teenager?
When it came to babysitting or any sort of trust incurred on me by anyone but my parents, yes.  Otherwise, not particularly.  I wasn't irresponsible, just typical, I think.

5. How many of this year's Oscar-nominated movies did you see?
 I'm going to go with none here.  I haven't seen a movie in ages.  It's one of those things I used to love, but I've sort of lost the sparkle for it.  I'm working hard to get the sparkle back.  Incidentally, I haven't read a book since January.  The good news is, I was having trouble writing, too, and here we are :-)

6. If you're going to have a medical procedure done, such as having blood drawn, is it easier for you to watch someone else having the procedure done or have it done yourself?
It doesn't really bother me overmuch either way.

7. What is your favorite day of the week and why?
 I don't really have a preference at the moment; days sort of blend together when you're medically unable to work.

8. What’s the best compliment you’ve ever received??
Well, the most memorable one came when I was getting my senior pictures done. The guy kept taking pictures and was obviously getting frustrated.  He kept looking at his watch, because we were clearly well over my allotted time.  He finally said to me, "You are beautiful, absolutely gorgeous, and I can't capture it on film.  I am so frustrated."  It was very awkward.  In the guy's defense, though, I do think I look better than I photograph.  It's kind of weird.

9. Do hospitals make you queasy?
Nah.  Funny story, though.  I had to have a procedure last year, nothing huge but it required anesthesia, so I had to have someone drive me home.  I asked every family member and friend I could think of, and then out of desperation asked my mother's best friend.  My mother was furious with me, and I didn't know why.  It was only after it was over that she told me that Pat is petrified of hospitals and the last time she walked into one, she passed out.  I felt awful!  Pat was a trooper, though ;-)

10. At which store would you like to max-out your credit card?
Probably Target.  I'm getting practical in my old age.

11. Are you true to the brand names of products/items?
It depends.  Like, mayonnaise from Market Basket (which I think is a New England chain, so if you've never heard of it, I apologize) is better than Hellmans or Cains.  In general, I go generic, though, because I'm poor.  I have some standards, though.  I would never buy meat or produce at Wal-Mart ;-p
   
12. Which is more difficult: looking into someone’s eyes when you are telling someone how you feel, or looking into someone’s eyes when he/she is telling you how he/she feels?
 Doesn't it ultimately amount to the same thing?

13. What’s one thing you’re deeply proud of — but would never put on your résumé?
 I can tie a cherry stem in a knot with my tongue.

14. What’s the most out-of-character choice you’ve ever made?
I'm  honestly not sure.


15. What’s your personal anthem or theme song?
Something by Alanis Morissette from Jagged Little Pill.  I am still an angsty teenager inside ;-)

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tough when you discover your husband screws up the order. Makes one wonder why he even asked you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds as if your husband did a little taste testing. I am not a particularly good dancer so I don't do it any more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so many good songs on that Alanis album!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Jagged Little Pill. And #13 made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never mastered the Macarena. Probably a good thing

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...