Tuesday, May 27, 2014

People are Stupid: Strange Things Were Afoot at the 7-11

As many of you know, I am a Coke addict (Coca-cola, that is).  There is nary a Coke to be seen in my house, so I scrounged up some changed and walked to the 7-11 to get a fix.

I'm trying to walk more often as sort of thought therapy, but this ended up being quite a lesson in human nature.

So I walk to the 7-11, and I had that weird awkward do-si-do when you're trying to get in and someone else is trying to get out.  The guy had a good sense of humor about it.  It was especially funny because I'm 5'2" and he was well over 6', so it must have looked hilarious.

"Well," I thought to myself, "that must have been the adventure for this trip."

I should know better than to ever say that to myself ...


I got my Coke, salivating all the way, and stood in line as the guy in front of me ordered two "big hot dogs".  The cashier went and put on the gloves and put two hot dogs into buns then into the little cardboard container; I watched this, and they weren't even my hot dogs.

At about this point, this guy wearing suspenders and a smug look stood between the counter and the door, waving a five dollar bill around.  I should also mention that the line had grown exponentially as the cashier got the hot dogs.

Back to the guy with the hot dogs, who apparently wanted little big hot dogs (???? his English wasn't great), but he was a good sport and seemed willing to pay and walk away.

At this point, however, my attention was diverted when a second cashier joined the first behind the counter.  I was next in line (and it was a pretty long line by then), so I stepped forward with my beautiful Coke.

The guy in the suspenders said, "Uh, excuse me, I just need five dollars in gas on pump three."

Before I could say, "And, uh, I've been waiting since you got into the store and I just have one item and I REALLY want a Coke right now", the cashier lit into him and basically said if he'd just gotten in line in the first place instead of trying to push hi way ahead of people, he'd have had his turn.

The guy got all red, muttered that he'd take his business elsewhere, and stormed out.

I have two questions ...

1.  Who the hell did he think he was?  I mean, yeah, it's a pain in the ass to wait in line, especially if you're just getting something small (*cough*Coke*cough*), but what made this guy think that he was so special that he should get pushed to the front of the line when everyone else was waiting patiently?

2.  How far does $5 in gas get you, anyway?

Anyway, I started to have a little bit of anxiety because confrontation and bullies and yelling and unfairness get me all freaked out, but I just took a deep breath and laughed.

Because sometimes, that's the only thing you can do ;-)

5 comments:

  1. Hey katie! Great post!

    First, I love your comment, "How far does $5 in gas get you, anyway?" Elicited a legit LOL from me!

    Second, sometimes I wish I had a very specific superpower, which I admittedly would NOT use for good (or at least what most people would call good). I wish I could shock people. Electrically. Not to death or anything, but your "$5 in gas bully" would be the perfect candidate. Just a little zap to get his attention. And while I'm wishing, I'll go ahead and wish that that SAME shock would go on hitting him in perpetuity EVERY time he behaved in such boorish fashion. Maybe then he'd start learning...

    Third, and on a more serious note, I also find walking (or jogging or using the rowing machine) great thought therapy. I do some of my freest, best thinking while physically engaged. Something about the predictable rhythm of physical activity allows my mental floodgates to swing wide, spilling forth incredible volumes of fertile thought. It'd be great if I could write while walking because it's exactly this kind of lucid, unrestrained thinking that all writers must try to harness in order to find truth in their work.

    Thanks for sharing what, for me, was quite a thought-provoking piece.

    ReplyDelete


  2. Many thanks for the amazing essay I really gained a lot of info. That I was searching for

    ReplyDelete

  3. Many thanks for the amazing essay I really gained a lot of info. That I was searching for

    ReplyDelete

  4. Many thanks for the amazing essay I really gained a lot of info. That I was searching for

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...