Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Why I Don't Love the Holidays

I used to blog a lot, then I got bogged down with writer's block, life, and foot surgery.  I took a series of "mirror pictures" the other day, and the metaphor of looking at myself in the mirror was not lost on me; it has, if nothing else, made me want to write again, which is a step in the right direction.

So here I am ...

 
And here goes my latest attempt at musings (I should mention that much of why I've been unable to write lately is because I have so much I want to write about--gun control, the asinine faux celebrations by some groups that are downright insulting when you get right down to it, the use of technology in schools, just to name a few).

Holidays are supposed to be a happy time, right?  I always--always--end up miserable, disillusioned, and feeling downright lonely.

I should make very clear that Christmas was wonderful and incredible for my girls, which is of course the most important thing.


In terms of me personally, though, it boils down to two main things that cause me angst around the holidays.

*  My step-father passed away on December 23 several years ago.  He was one of the best, and I miss him terribly.  My mother has it even worse, and my entire family is honestly pretty down in the dumps at Christmastime.

This year I had a new wrinkle added.

I went to the cemetery on the 23rd, put an ornament on the tree planted there along with a letter I'd written to him, and then I cried a lot.

I learned recently that my stepdad loathed Pythagorus (the blog pseudonym I use for my alcoholic, emotionally abusive ex-husband), felt from the moment he met him that he was weak and unstable.  He found Pythagorus to be completely pathetic, predicting long ago that Pythagorus would self-destruct because ... well, that's what mentally ill people unable to face their problems do when life doesn't go their own way.

I realized that I am angry with him for not telling me that his take on Pythagorus was that he was pretty much a sociopath, a person that sees life only in terms of himself (which is not to say that he didn't do good things but rather that he did them so that people would say, "Wow, what a good person he is!").

In other words, my stepdad had Pythagorus pegged perfectly, knew that he would cause me tremendous pain, yet let it happen anyway.

A sense came to me at the cemetery, a feeling that seemed like a message: "You have Belle, and you wouldn't otherwise."

That is true, and my magical Fairy girl is worth every broken glass and scream and lie and cruelty and bruise and humiliation he put me through.

Coming to terms with my stepdad--who was the best judge of character I've ever met--making a conscious choice to let life happen and the knowledge that it was the right thing to do even though it would epitomize the word "bittersweet" was exhausting, and it made me miss him even more this year.

I would have loved to have a conversation with my stepdad.  I kind of did at the cemetery (I always feel like I've spent time with him after going to his grave), but I wanted more, which made me miss him even more, and ... yeah, it snowballed.

*  I love to give.  The concept of doing things for other people--specifically taking the time to find a way to show the people I love that I care about them--is a beautiful thing to me.

I don't want anything in return.  Honestly, I don't.  And people don't understand when I tell them that.

What ends up happening is that people give me things that show that they don't understand me as well as I'd expected or know how to make me happy in a simple way, which is my preference.  With God as my witness, I'd rather get a piece of maple sugar candy than a diamond necklace.

So I get depressed on that level, which of course leads me to the obvious extension ... am I doing the same thing for other people?  Do I think that I am making them happy by spending time with them or having a lively conversation or giving a gift, and it's truly just depressing the hell out of them because it's all just showing how little I know them?

*  Something really amazing was supposed to be happening right around now.  It's not.  I'm sad.  

I'm realizing writing this post how selfish I sound (I am really and truly not selfish), but I guess I'm wondering if anyone else feels worse during the holiday season than any other time of year.

Here's a specific question for anyone reading this ... feel free to respond in the comments.  What are your thoughts on Yankee Swaps?

Me, I think they're fine for work parties and large social gatherings, but not for family.  The idea of taking the time, energy, and thought out of picking out a gift for someone (which could include a homemade coupon for a backrub or an afternoon of sledding, for example, or something like what Addie did for her grandmother, taking her to see Les Miserables the afternoon of Christmas day) in lieu of spending a little bit of money on something generic that involves absolutely no thought is just distasteful to me.  I realize that this is not a popular view; I almost caused a scene at Thanksgiving when I said I would refuse to participate in a family Yankee Swap (I did try to make clear that if everyone else was good with that, it was fine with me, but I just did not want to participate for reasons that I believe you understand if you're still reading this).

Anyway, I'm rambling ... but at least I'm writing :-)

The next post will be tighter, better organized, and hopefully more thought-provoking instead of me wondering if I'm the only one to wallow in self-pity at Christmastime.     

12 comments:

  1. Great bouncing ice bears, it's not all bad <3...and if that amazing thing involved me, it is sad but we're at peace. If not, I apologize for being presumptuous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peeps. And white chocolate polar bears. And I <3 you :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad that you're writing again, and kicking yourself out of your funk. I can understand why you get sad around the holidays, but I know that your step dad would want you to be happy, and reveling in the joy of the holidays with your girls, and the loved ones you still have. I hope that whatever awesome thing was supposed to happen does actually happen too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kicking myself out of my funk is what it feels like, but I'm getting there. I think :-)

      Delete
  3. You have no idea how much I can relate. My exhusband was unstable. Everyone knew it. Even me, although I was blinded by what I thought my life should be rather than what it actually was. By the time I realized it was never going to be what I needed, we were already married, and when I knew I should leave it was 5 years later and I found out the next day I was pregnant with Oldest. Youngest was the only other time we were together 6 months later, and 11 months after his arrival, my ex left me with no job and $7 in the bank. The hell I thought, would be over. I was wrong.

    When I was finally good in my life, happy, and healthy, he killed himself. Last year on the 11 of December. I realized around Nov. how angry I still was at him, which was unsettling since I thought I was done with him for good. (I have blogged about all of this if you are interested, just search ex-husband in my search box.) It was cleansing to finally let it go, and know that he can't hurt me anymore.

    This year we lost a high school student in a freak accident (we did not know him but many of my friends did) Bonus Brother's grandmother had several strokes and we had no idea if she'd make it to Christmas (she did, but likely will not make it to next) We have Tony's mother's heart surgery (long story) coming up in Jan that has everyone on edge, My mother's extended family all but fell apart from greed and stupidity, and then the shootings which I think, effected everyone. So yeah, I too had a hard time finding joy on the roller coaster this year.

    Yankee Swaps for family are a terrible idea. I am from a HUGE extended family and for years we picked names on Thanksgiving on who to buy for at Christmas. That way, everyone got something personal without going broke.

    So glad you're back blogging, I could care less if it's streamlined or concise. It's real, and you're here.... it's what blogging's about.

    Sorry to go on so long... it's what I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juli,

      Thank you so much for sharing this. It resonates more than you can imagine, and it makes me feel far less lonely and alienated.

      <3 KL

      Delete
  4. I miss having a whole family for Christmas. This year I had all three of the boys round for Christmas day and enjoyed cooking for them. Hell, I didn't even object to washing everything up afterwards. The only thing that would've made it better would be someone to cuddle up with later on...teenage boys aren't into that apparently.

    As for the gifts, I tend to opt out, not because I'm tight-fisted, but because people don't have to buy me crap that I'll never use. Didn't stop some people buying me chocolate and biscuits. One lady bought me a single choccie biscuit carefully wrapped. So sweet.

    On an even better note, I'm glad you'll be back blogging and writing. If you want a beta reader, I'm available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A single chocolate biscuit carefully wrapped? Sounds perfect :-) I'm glad you had a nice Christmas, my friend! And you'll be my beta reader sooner rather than later :-)

      Delete
  5. The holidays are hard for many people. You're not alone, even though hearing that doesn't usually make people feel better.

    I like the mirror picture. That's an interesting way of looking at how you are without having looked into the lens of a camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're as astute as ever :-) Hope your holidays were amazing!

      Delete
  6. I don't celebrate Christmas since my father died 7 years ago. I spend the year filling shoeboxes and collecting coats, socks and blankets for the homeless. I sponsor a villiage in Africa but I spend the holidays trapped in my own delicious ennui. I have no friends or family to share those times with and I hate that worst of all. What is my point. I don't know. You last two posts just moved me. I hope you have a great new year or a better one than you expect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am Mercy Marcos by name.My husband left me because i was unable to conceive after 12 years of marriage due to my BARRENNESS i visited different hospitals they were unable to help me i cried all day all to no avail, i contacted so many spell caster to bring him back but i never new they were scammer they stole my money, i decided to end it all by killing myself until God intervene by sending a friend of mine who was suffering from PCOS introduce me to the DR that cured her. i never wanted to contact him because of my past experience until i decided to give him a chance and to my greatest surprise he casted a spell and in 3 days my husband return asking for forgiveness, I really want to thank DR Harrison for the great work he did for me. But through the help of great PROPHET DR HARRISON my husband came back with tears on his face pleading, not only that Dr also helped me break the yoke of barrenness in my life and now am having 2 kids. for more information contact me via email Mercymarcos87@gmail.com. With so much joy in my heart i want to recommend DR HARRISON to everyone that has been looking for help for a long time in there relationship to get there Ex lover back or to conceive to kindly contact DR to help you with his Love spell or pregnancy spell, contact him via his email address SACREDSPELLTEMPLE@HOTMAIL.COM or you can add him on whatsApp through his mobile number +2348079540032

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...