Monday, July 2, 2012

Insomnia Advice: Bring it On :-)

I have been suffering from insomnia since I was a very young child.  I think much of the reason that I learned how to read before I was three is that my parents told me I had to stay in bed, even if I couldn't sleep, and ... well, there's only so  much you can do.

As you can imagine, I've heard every trick in the book.  Most of them are legal ...

I can honestly say that I have tried to battle my insomnia (which, if you are my Facebook friend, you are all too familiar with since I have a tendency to start ranting on FB when I can't sleep, which is with an unfortunate frequency).

But I've pretty much come to terms with it, all joking aside.  I've had a sleep study done (I learned that I have "ideopathic" issues falling asleep and staying asleep once I get there ... it was very useful ;-)), I developed good "sleep hygiene" (which is basically having a set routine and using relaxation techniques and such), and I have a prescription for Ambien that I use only when I am on the verge of going completely bananas from lack of sleep.

I have tried virtually everything to deal with my sleeping issues with the exception of hypnosis.  I am honestly pretty scared of hypnosis, because in addition to having horrible insomnia, I have horrible nightmares most of the time when I do sleep.  These nightmares are in general based around one of those traumatic life events that scar you forever, and I have dealt with it as much as I am going to.

I even hesitate to use Ambien overmuch because I get trapped in my nightmares sometimes, and I can't even wake up.  It's like being in a Nightmare on Elm Street  movie ;-)

But seriously, I am hoping that you will share your experiences with (and advice pertaining to) insomnia here.

I am compiling a list of things that I have tried and/or had recommended.  I have bolded what has worked for me on some level.

*  Melatonin
*  Ambien
*  Marijuana
*  Nyquil
*  Ginger root
*  Warm milk
*  Honeycomb
*  Reading
*  Watching television
*  Eliminating caffeine
*  Relaxation techniques (for awhile, counting backwards from 100 while actually visualizing each number worked)
*  Sex
*  Exercise
*  Intentionally staying up all night to "get caught up"
*  Advil PM
*  Music
*  Changing pillow positions/beds/and so on
*  Sleeping in a dark room
*  Muscle relaxants (Valium, Flexeril)
*  Sleeping in a bright room
*  Alcohol
*  Getting punished for bugging my parents in the middle of the night when I was a little kid
*  Warm bath

So, yeah, I think that's pretty much the gamut, other than the hypnosis thing, which I am not prepared to tackle.  I don't know that I ever will be, truth be told.

Do you have any advice (or encouragement) for struggling insomniacs out there?  Share in the comments :-)


6 comments:

  1. Nyquil definitely worked for me but left me groggy. I wish I could sleep as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problem and have since childhood. I hate it sometimes but then I remind myself that I have lived TWICE the waking hours of most people so in the end I am getting the better end of the insomnia deal.

    Also if you drink Nyquil go right to bed. If you try to fight the urge you can get what I like to call the Niquil Psychosis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well there are a few options. I think there are actually pills that give you a dreamless sleep, so I would suggest them. You have to deal with these nightmares though. You won't ever be able to sleep properly while you're still having them so once they're dealt with, you should be able to sleep easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take ALL electronics out of the room. Do not have a clock facing you.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my....my husband is 58 and he still doesn't slow down much to sleep...neither does our daughter. I hope you find what works for you...we have tried most of what you have also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If marijuana and masturbation don't work, you probably have a medically diagnosable problem.

    I really recommend against Ambien. Too many people I know personally have had weird experiences on that, including an ex who used to call me years after we broke up to suggest we meet at a hotel in a state halfway between us... while on Ambien.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...