Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Summer Writing Project--Please Weigh In



Along with my writing mojo returning came two great writing ideas about which I am very excited.  That being said, I know that I can only focus on one at a time and a decision has to be made.

I've written one novel and several short stories (here, here,  here, and here, if you're interested).  I thought they were pretty good at the time (they clearly weren't ;-)), but I've learned a lot about writing and about life since then, and I am unquestionably at a better place as a writer now.

If you know me at all in real life (or it's entirely possible you've picked this up from my blogging topics and patterns), you're well aware that I'm pretty much the textbook version of an adult with ADHD.  I struggle with getting started, finishing what I start unless there are firm deadlines, and many of what we call in the education world "executive functioning skills".  I am impulsive, disorganized, and I hate authority.  And so on and so forth.


Oh, I also have that "hyper-focus" on one area, kind of like self-hypnosis (if you have or know anyone with ADHD, you know what I mean).  For me, it's reading.  Or writing.  For a lot of hyperactive kids nowadays, it's video games.  But that's a different rant ...

Anyway, I've made a lot of progress with functioning in life, more than just bouncing around driving people nuts or using books and caffeine to keep myself under control (I'm really not as bad as I'm making myself out to be ... I am a successful mother, teacher, girlfriend, dog owner, friend, daughter, sister, and blah blah blah).

And I've decided that this is the summer of writing.

So I've got it down to two topics.  I'd really rather not flip a coin, so I am going to let you, oh person reading these words right now, decide.  Seriously.

Oh, and before you say, "Why don't you try doing both?", see the above explanatory ADHD rant.  I cannot focus on writing on two things at once.  It's as simple as that.

So ...

1.  A historical mystery. (vague, I know ... I don't want to tip my hand ;-))
*  I know the whole story in my head (this sort of planning ahead is symbolic of the new and slightly improved me)
*  It's an extensive lesson in history, and I've already started researching extensively.
*  I have always wanted to write a mystery

OR

2.  A memoir of my life.
*  It's an interesting story ... I have had the great fortune of having incredible things happen to me ... and the horrible misfortune of having unspeakably horrible things happen to me.
*  Coming to terms with a couple of my traumatic life events has given me closure ... part of me thinks that getting it all out there might do so on a larger scale.
*  It is very important to me as a mother and a teacher that the children I raise and/or educate get the lesson that, when life knocks you down, you get right back up.  I think this is a message that needs to get out more, and I think putting it in writing (more than the occasional blog post) could help people.

So, please give your recommendation (your vote, to use that word) in the comments.  Should I focus my summer writing time, other than blogging and other responsibilities, working on the historical mystery or the memoir?

And should you want to explain why, that would be great, too :-)  

Either way, I'm going with the majority.

Thanks in advance <<3
   

9 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to pick the historical mystery because I love history, and I think more work has to go in to it. So it's going to be more of a challenge. I understand the way you function, though I doubt I actually have ADHD (ADD itself may be something) and that's why I post one chapter a week on my blog. It's a self imposed deadline, and one I try to take seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) I personally think the line between ADHD and ADD is pretty thin ... the "H" can be manifested in so many ways (including spacing out ;-))

      Delete
  2. I hope this doesn't mean you just stop blogging because I have just found your stuff. I would go with the personal story where, like Abraham Lincoln you end up fighting wearwoves with teh silver tip of your Hoover vaccuum clearner. But that's just me. I am a dreamer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoover vacuum cleaner? Never! Being a teacher, a mother, and a person who's been through pretty much everything a person can be through is more interesting, in my opinion. Although there was the disappearing bat in a jar incident ... (don't ask ;-))

      Delete
  3. I think writing the memoir would be the better choice. The story is already written so to speak. You shouldn't have to do much research. And you have an important story to tell. It would mainly be organizing it and writing it. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) My hesitation has been that word you mentioned in your post ... you know, the "o" word ... the one that rhymes with forganized ;-) If I end up going with this one, trying to decided whether to go linear, to set it up with vignettes, or to go reverse chronological ... so many choices :-(

      Delete
  4. Historical mystery. Memoirs are notoriously hard sells and it sounds as though you're super excited about the mystery, which will make it easier to write. Also, that's a genre that will be easier to sell, thus "breaking you in" to the market. :-) Happy summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi KLo, I will keep myself above the table here. Glad to see you coming by and leaving your comment. The choices you have to make is interesting. Wouldn't a memoir be historical? Since it has not been published, it would be a mystery. The question would be, how much are you willing to reveal? You would have my interest. Jim

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...