Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sunday Stealing: The Nameless Fourth of July Meme

And now it's time once again for Sunday Stealing, which has somehow become a staple under the "highlight of the week" category for me. Good thing, because I'm having kind of a rough week ...

1. Last movie you saw in a theater?

Oh my gosh, I think it was Hop. That's completely unacceptable, since it wasn't even a good movie. Anybody want to go to the movies ;-)? Well, I'm seeing Harry Potter 7-II in another week and a half, so that'll be some redemption, anyway.

2. What book are you reading?

One of my students encouraged me to read his favorite book series, The Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan. In general, I always read books that students recommend, but young adult literature is not my favorite, so I've struggled a bit with that this year.

Well, this kid is awesome, and I think it really hurt his feelings that I was dragging my feet, so I finally brought the first two books home on a weekend a couple of weeks before school ended and plowed through them. They were really good.

He brought in the next two, and I finished them pretty quickly.

This young man was then faced with something of a dilemma. You see, he's pretty familiar with my desk, my lack of organization, and so on.

He finally said, "Ms. Loud, I'm considering lending you the next books in the series to read over the summer, but I have to know. Do you lose books?"

I laughed. "Nope. I sometimes spill pizza on them and fold over the pages instead of using bookmarks and occasionally fall asleep and drool on them, but I never lose books."

I'm on the eighth book right now, with two more to go :-)

3. Favorite board game?
Either Trivial Pursuit (I'm a fountain of useless information) or Scattergories (because I always win :-)).

4. Favorite magazine?
People. I have an unhealthy obsession with celebrity gossip.

5. Favorite smells?
The ocean, apple pie cooking, and lilacs.

6. Favorite sounds?

My seven-year-old daughter's sweet little voice, especially when unexpected (and inappropriate) things come out of it accidentally and just sound so funny that you have to bite back the laughter while you're dishing out the discipline.

To wit, Addie, Belle, and I were cleaning the living room (like, deep cleaning ... removing all furniture, bleaching baseboards and such. Hard core), and Addie decided to alphabetize the DVDs. Why? I have no idea. But anyway, she did, and she talked her sister into helping her. I went to Subway to get lunch while they spread out stacks of movies all over the room. When I got back, the following conversation transpired.

Addie: I just realized that I am missing five--five--of my Harry Potter movies!
Belle: (mumbling so I won't hear what she's saying and taking on a bratty tone as she prepares to antagonize her sister) That means you only have two left.
Addie: You're a dick!
Me: (to Belle, since I had no idea what had brought forth such a reaction from the usually mild-mannered Addie) What did you say?
Belle: Oh, she said, 'You're a dick!'

Oh my gosh, it was so hard not to laugh ...

7. Worst feeling in the world?

Getting a phone call from a drunk Pythagorus asking for me to come get him and drive him home (a two hour drive), reinjuring my back when trying to drag him out of the car, then having him call a couple of days later and act like nothing happened. He has fallen off the wagon three times in the past two weeks. In fact, I think his wagon has totally derailed. Belle is a mess, I am just sick and tired of the whole situation, and I want to scream.

8. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up?
Where is my phone? Yes, I sleep with my phone. No, I don't think it's healthy. And no, it's not dirty ... it's because I sleep deeply and my phone is also my alarm clock. And when I get the occasional text at midnight, I like to be able to hear it.

9. Favorite fast food place?

This is horrible, but I'm kind of a fan of McDonald's french fries. I also used to really enjoy the Baconator from Wendy's before my pancreas decided to go nuclear every time I eat something with that much fat in it.

10. What’s under your bed?
A bunch of boxes belonging to my mother. When you live in the attic of your mother's barn, you have to work around boxes of stuff belonging to her. It makes for an interesting storage situation ... and that's all I have to say about that.

11. Finish this statement. “If I had lot of money I’d….?
Buy a house of my own (not a mansion or anything, just a real house), set up trust funds for Addie and Belle for after they graduate from college, give a sizable amount to my mother, my father, my sister, and my brother, and donate the rest to a good charity. And yes, I'm serious.

12. Do you sleep with a stuffed animal?
Nope. I believe I already mentioned that I sleep with my phone. What's more fun than an object that states, "DROID" at all hours?

13. Storms – cool or scary?

Scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In fact, storms are probably my biggest fear :-(

14. Favorite drink?
Captain and Coke ... or apple juice if we're talking non-alcoholic.

15. Finish this statement, “If I had the time I would….”?

Organize my stuff instead of adding to the mass of crap in my rented storage unit each time the attic barn starts to really overflow.

16. If you had to dye your hair another color, what would be your choice?

I'd probably go for green or pink or something really crazy. Otherwise, what would be the point of dyeing my hair ;-)?

17. Favorite place to relax?

The beach.

18. Name all the different cities/towns you’ve lived in?
Dover, Portsmouth, Plymouth, North Hampton. All in New Hampshire. Man, am I boring ;-)

19. Favorite sports to watch?
On TV, baseball or football. In person, hockey.

20. Would you like to be born as yourself again?
Only if I could give myself a number of caveats first.

And I guess that's all she wrote.  One quick request ... if y'all could send happy thoughts to the amazing Bud Weiser of WTIT, Sunday Stealer extraordinaire, who had surgery on Friday, I'd much appreciate it, and I'm sure he would, too.

3 comments:

  1. You are a VERY ineresting young lady. No wonder your kids are who they are.

    (Happy thoughts on their way)

    ReplyDelete
  2. McDonald's fries are, hands down, the best on the planet. Just as McDonald's Coke tastes better than any just about any other.

    I really enjoy YA fiction, and will look up that series. I still re-read a lot of the stuff I read as a teenager. Actually, some of the stuff now is downright dirty, I am perusing one by an author who wrote another that I liked, and ... this stuff is down right raunchy! Good to know for when my kids get to that age. Right now, they're happy with One Fish Two Fish, and that's fine by me!

    Happy 4th, hope it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...