Monday, June 6, 2011

Friendship is a Good Thing

There's an old saying:
"There are three kinds of friends--friends for a reason, friends for a season, and friends for life."
I am incredibly lucky with the friends that I have (and the friends that I have had), although I've grown wise enough in my old age that I believe that adage is true.

Some friends you have for a reason. You work with them, and socializing kind of comes up. Or, perhaps even more commonly, they're a friend of a friend (sometimes even of a friend). You end up hanging out almost out of convenience. These are the "friends" that, in my opinion, you tend to have a lot of in high school and college.

Then, there are friends for a season. I've had some incredibly intense friendships that I wouldn't trade for the world, but they run their course after awhile. One or the other of you moves on, for whatever reason. You outgrow each other. Your world view changes, or theirs does. These are, from my experience, a lot of the friends of adulthood.

And then, of course, there are friends for life. I'm firmly convinced that not everybody has one of these, never mind multiple "friends for life". They are indeed a rare gem.

I'm thinking a lot about the nature of friendship tonight (as the Ambien kicks in ...) because I spent the evening watching one of my best friends reap the rewards of the hard work she has put in with a group of students. It was amazing, and this woman is a brilliant teacher and an all-around remarkable human being. It is an honor to be her friend.

And also because I have a new friend that I'm still getting to know, which is always a fun experience. You can get silly about tacky green socks and being nice and and how jokes about a politician named Wiener Tweeting his package really aren't all that funny because they pretty much write themselves, and what's the fun in that?

Friendship is a gift. You get what you give, and it's important to appreciate it all--whether it be a reason, season, or life friend; after all, each is good in its own way.

10 comments:

  1. intricate view of friendship. i only see friends and not friends

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'd take any semblance of friendship in my life at this point, even cyber ;)

    peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post. You are my northeast strange commercial-Karate Kid-Neverending Story-80's music friend. Glad to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen.

    Add to that the truth in the joke, 'real friends help you bury the body'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wise post. Sometimes it's difficult not to resent someone who moves on without you, for whatever reason. I've never had a life-long friend, but I have had a few who stuck around for a few years. They will always remain a part of the fabric of my life, wherever they are now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I can say I that I agree with this message. Very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You gotta be thankful you were not a Wiener facebook friend...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm lucky to have 5 friends that I've known for 20-30 (and one for 40) years. Our lives have changed in various ways but we always find a way to stay in touch. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All friends play a function in your life until they're finished performing their role. Then they leave, and that's okay. That's how it works.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...