Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Christmas Miracle

I am blessed with funny children. At sixteen, Addie realizes that she's kind of a laugh riot and plays it up at times. Belle doesn't always get it ... which of course makes it even funnier much of the time.

My mother was telling me the other day about a story I've heard a hundred times but had forgotten. Evidently I referred to my older brother as "Goong Goong" when I was a baby. One day, my father asked me, "What's your brother's name?" and I replied, "Goong Goong." My dad persisted, "Yeah, but what's his real name?" and, giving my father a patented are-you-an-idiot look, I said clear as day, "Adam."

Which leads me to Belle's Christmas miracle, which as a fair warning involves bathroom functions.

Okay, still with me?

Belle is a notoriously picky eater. Her main staples are cheese and chocolate, with an occasional McDonald's Happy Meal thrown in for good measure. This kid has been exposed to every fruit and vegetable and high-fiber snack in existence, and she just won't eat them.

Okay, I lied ... she eats bananas. And apple juice. Yes, those are two components of the "BRAT" diet recommended for getting rid of diarrhea.

You can probably see where I'm going here ... in essence, this kid has been a constipation emergency waiting to happen for most of her life.

The day before Christmas, I'm doing some last-minute wrapping while Belle is playing with the dogs, when all of a sudden I hear her screaming. Now, if you're a parent, you automatically recognize the pain cry and know to go running. I sprinted.

Belle was in the bathroom on the toilet, screaming at the top of her lungs. In that particular situation, there's, uh, not a whole lot someone else can do to help. I got down on the floor and held her and encouraged her and did end up putting on latex gloves and assisting somewhat.

Long story short (and it was long ... this went on for at least half an hour, poor kid), it all came out in the end.

And the kid looks up at me, her eyes shining, and exclaims, with a completely straight face, "Mommy, it's finally out. It's a Christmas miracle!"

I mean, who needs Adam Sandler, right?

We have, by the way, incorporated pears, peaches, plums, and prunes (collectively known as "the p-fruits" by Miss Belle) into her required daily diet, just to avoid any subsequent Christmas miracles.

5 comments:

  1. Adam Sandler went to my high school: Central High School in Manchester, NH. He came and spoke at my brother's graduation! It was cool.

    But kids can be sooo funny. I hope you had a great Christmas and thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL laughed till I cried...and cringed too (being blessed with a child with potty problems) :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Cute. My s-i-l is always eating fruit...and complaining about diarrhea. She was telling me about it once (I guess she thinks we're friends) and I said, "Well, if you'd stop eating fruit for 10 seconds..." She laughed but I don't know if she took my advice.

    On another note, being disabled causes all sorts of bodily function issues. One Dr. gave me the best advice I'd ever heard: drink as much water as you comfortably can throughout the day and you won't need laxatives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WARNING - THIS MAY MAKE YOU FEEL YUCKY AND CONTAINS BOY HUMOUR.


    My eldest used to have wet dreams. One morning the little darling decided to see what was contained in the liquid and put some under his toy microscope and happily came down and told us all about it. Me, his mother, his brothers and my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps you can educate Belle on the joys of diverticulitis, which will be a problem for her later in life if she doesn't eat her damn broccoli.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...