Saturday, November 6, 2010

I'm Sorry, Kermit!

When I was seventeen, I hit a chipmunk on my way to work. It was the first time I'd ever killed anything in my life (I'm one of those people that catches a spider or bumblebee then releases them outside--the only exception is mosquitos), and I was distraught. I was such a mess, in fact, that I actually got sent home from work because I couldn't stop crying.

I've had other roadkill incidents since then, and while I always feel badly about it, I no longer go into hysterics. I mean, sometimes those squirrels just run right out in front of you. I always try to dodge them if possible, but sometimes there's just nothing you can do.

Something happened one night last week that reminded me of my utter devastation over the first chipmunk I hit, and it got me pondering the proverbial food chain and the equity (or inequity, I guess you'd say) of the animals, big and small, that are killed incidentally by human beings.

I live very close to the ocean, and there is a lot of marshland surrounding the roads near my house. Sometimes at night, you can hear the frogs singing, a beautiful choir that's obviously not planned but somehow sounds intentional anyway.

One night last week, I was coming home from dinner in Massachusetts with a friend. It was pretty late--bordering on midnight--and it had been raining all day and most of the night. All of a sudden, with no warning at all, the boggy road I was on was covered with frogs. Covered.

I felt a twinge of the girl I was at seventeen rise up inside as I realized that I was driving over frogs. Like, multitudes of frogs. We're talking froggie family reunion here.

I considered reversing up the road, changing direction, getting back on the highway, and going home in a way that would have allowed me to circumvent the avenue of amphibians. If I'd been seventeen, I would without question have done it. There were two things that stopped me:

1) I could see in my rear view mirror that the frogs that had escaped certain death under the deadly wheels of my car were hopping over their dead and injured brethren, bound for the relative safety of the moonlit marshes on either side of the road. They had avoided the wheel of fortune's death knell once, and it seemed cruel on a whole bunch of levels to reverse over them--I don't know much, but I do know that fate only goes your way so many times, and they'd already been scared and shaken.

2) It was very late, I was exhausted, and I wanted to be home as quickly as possible.

And so I plowed ahead, flattening countless frogs in the process because they were so prolific that attempting to dodge them was futile. For nearly a mile, though, I weaved my little sedan slowly around the larger gathering spots, avoiding sitting water because they really seemed to conglomerate in and around puddles on the road.

And I cried, not with the sharp and sudden agony of knowing that I'd killed a little chipmunk dashing across the street but with a longer, stronger awareness that the road was basically paved with frogs, that I did not want to hurt them and wished that they would hop off to froggie endeavors that would have kept them off the road, and that, ultimately, there was absolutely nothing I could do to change my undesired mass murder of dozens, maybe hundreds of frogs.

It occurred to me as I drove, trying to ignore the fact that the normally smooth road was characterized by scores of small but frequent bumps, that there were many metaphors to be drawn here ... and that none of them were happy.

4 comments:

  1. Survival of the fittest says it all. If those frogs were smart, they'd have stayed off the road. Which those other frogs tried to do after their brethren were unintentionally hit.

    I always cringe and feel bad when I see cats or dogs on the road. Fortunately, I've never hit anything while driving/being driven. We have a LOT of squirrels around here and I have been known to swerve to avoid contact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've killed two animals while driving, both within the past year -- one was a raccoon and the other an armadillo. The night I killed the armadillo was also days after my own dog had been run over by a car and killed. I bawled the entire way home, upset over my dog and upset that I was the cause of another animal's death.

    I can't even imagine being faced with the decision of driving forward or backing up, and either way knowing your killing frogs. I'm sorry you had to make that decision, and live on with the consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm quite sanguine about animals being killed on the road, basically because there is little I can do about it. In some instances there is the choice between hitting the animal or going off the road...in some cases hitting them or smashing into another car.

    As yucky as it is, death is part of life, sometimes it's accidental, sometimes just bad luck.

    There, but for the grace of God, we go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think squirrels who leap in front of cars are deliberately weeding themselves out of the gene pool. I try not to feel badly about it. But I don't try to kill them, either. I just try not to do more harm while driving than necessary.

    An acquaintance of mine once drove from Corpus Christi to Houston while a hurricane was coming. The crabs were scuttling out of the ocean and across the highway. For miles and miles, crunch crunch crunch they went. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...