Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Book Endings Can Really Tick You Off ...

Please remind me to go through my finished novel and my almost-finished novel and make sure that there is no ambiguity in the ending. There is nothing that makes me more unnerved than an ending that offers no real ... denouement. It's sort of like, when is the sequel coming? Gaaaaaaaaaaah. And then you remember that the author died right after the books were published, and ...

Okay. Deep breath.

Yes, I just finished what's evidently known as The Millennium Trilogy but which seems more identifiable as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, the second one, and the last one. If you haven't read them, get the heck off the computer and run, don't walk, to the bookstore or library.

Loved these books. LOVED them. The first one was a little slow at first, but once I was into it I couldn't put it down. I was so damn invested in these characters, and then ...

But I don't want to spoil it. Suffice it to say that I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE HELL HAPPENS. And please don't tell me to use my imagination or that leaving it up in air allows people to draw their own conclusions or end it as they see fit.

Have you read these books? If so, what did you think? I mean, they were like crack to me ... is this typical? And, without spoilers, did the ending seem ... A LITTLE TOO FREAKING AMBIGUOUS?

PS. What ever happened to Camilla Salander? (and that's really not a spoiler ... just one of those loose threads that are never even picked up ... drives me CRAZY ... why create a character if--well, anyway ;-))

5 comments:

  1. Chinese books are that way. I don't read those either. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got hacked off at the ending of Northern Lights for something similar. Pullman decided to make sure that you;d buy the next book with that ending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate it when the ending is very lackluster. I just finished the Secret Year and the first 140 pages were great, but the last 30 pages sucked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ambiguous endings are frustrating. I'm always trying to piece a good one together in my head afterwards.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...