Friday, June 25, 2010

Five Things I Have Recently Learned

1. Water is Extremely Important.
So we just got our water back on this afternoon. Evidently the underground hose/pipe thing had a crack in it and, when half of the side yard was being dug up as they made this discovery, it turns out our well was evidently not up to code, so that had to be remedied as well. I never realized all of the things you need water for … it’s not just if you’re thirsty or something. I mean, I’m just about out of clean underwear, and my children were peeing in cups and dumping them outside. It was crazy!
The yard:

The picture Andy texted me to rag me about the waterless situation:










2. It’s Not That That Hard to Change Brakes.
When I bought my car, I knew it would need the brakes replaced sooner rather than later. The dealership was pretty upfront about it, and replacing brakes is something Andy can do pretty easily so, considering the price cut on the car, it seemed like a good idea. Anyway, they got very squeaky a few weeks ago, so it turned out to be sooner. We did the brakes in Andy’s driveway, and I felt like pretty hot shit because I actually HELPED :-) I felt so non-girly!
My dirty hands (after removing one of the tires):

Andy fixing my brakes:










3. Catching up With Old Friends is So Much Fun!
One of my friends from high school is a hairdresser in L.A. She was in the area for Father’s Day, so she organized a mini-reunion. It was so much fun catching up with everyone! The coolest part was that none of the people that went were among my close high school friends, but we had a blast. I was in the hospital on a morphine drip during my ten year reunion, so I missed out on the “what the hell has everyone been up to?” thing. This kind of made up for it. Oh, and those Mango Martinis at Blue Latitudes … they are freaking amazing!











4. Some People Are Just Not Nice.
I don’t talk smack about my co-workers, but suffice it to say that one of them had me in tears a couple of days ago. Now, I admit that I cry easily, but what I’ve always loved so much about the school I work at is how nice everyone has always been—the kiddos, the staff, even the administration. There is now a person that is jealous or threatened or something, but anyway, it’s freaking harassment. I’m trying to come to terms with it and try to figure out the best way to move forward. Yuck!



5. The World is So Beautiful.
This is the most well-placed (and best timed) rainbow I’ve ever seen. It reminded me of what is really important, and so I’m sharing it with you.

6 comments:

  1. #4 is still a painful realization to me and when they are a family member, the pain is worse than you can ever imagine.

    Jealousy is probably the reason for the harshness and I'm sorry you were at the tail end of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 very true things! Some people aren't nice and I wonder if they just don't know how to be nice. Maybe it's not their fault.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Yay! 2. Very true, very easy, especially when you look at some of the people who are doing it for a living at Midas. 3. Yes indeed, old friends are fun! 4. Avoidance usually works, but if it doesn't, don't hesitate to get mean. Sometimes ugly people only understand force. 5. Beautiful rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. That is terrible!!! I can't imagine what your mornings were like with kids too.
    4. I have experienced that. I say document everything. Keep a journal of any occurrences each day and email it to yourself as a time stamp. And notify your supervisor of any inappropriate behavior via email immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No 6. Getting rid of PC viruses is easier than you think. :-)

    No 7. Most people are nice...and honest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...