Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Taking Suggestions for Life Organization

Okay, my life is a mess. I feel like I'm juggling a hundred balls, and I'm sick of it. How does one get beyond this?

One might suggest prioritizing. One would not be familiar with my circumstances if they did. I guess the best way to demonstrate this is that my daughters are my top priority. However, what is the best choice for one is going to be extremely negative for the other, and vice versa. It's a win/lose situation, and how do I decide which child wins and which loses?

Andy is going to help me make a list. I've tried to explain to him that a list is only going to make things look even more overwhelming, but he's pretty adamant. What the heck, I guess it can't hurt ...

And a lot of things are going super well right now. Writing for Zelda Lily, for example, has awakened a part of my mind that had been sleeping.

Anyway, just wondering if any of you wise folk have any theories on what to do when life has you by the ankles and won't let go?

6 comments:

  1. I guess, plan for the older one, figuring that the younger daughter will adapt better to the negative consequences than the older one can. And it may turn out good for the younger one in ways you can't see yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with prioritizing. That's a good plan. I'm so glad your writing is going well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feared lists as well, but they do help (and as you know, I''m not a "list person" either). Even though they look overwhelming, there is something mentally reassuring about crossing an item off. It's like it's gone, and you don't have to worry about it any more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take it one step at a time; one hurdle at a time. Sometimes, though, it's easier said than done! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When life gets you by the ankles, struggling won't help. Life is stronger, smarter and older.

    Sometimes it's teasing us or being cruel, but when things overwhelm us, we should focus on what we can do. It's for this reason that I keep an old prayer in my mind.

    'Lord, help me to change the things that can be changed and accept the things that can't be changed, and give me the wisdom to know the difference.'

    Hope it helps.

    p.s. Lists are great, especially when you cross off the things that you can nothing about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...