Monday, April 26, 2010

Earth Day is Growing--Are you Growing with It?


I was a slow-comer to the concept of Earth Day. Even this year, I was more excited to see what Google did to their page than the concept itself (I'm pretty ashamed to admit that ...)

My friend and colleague Kristina, on the other hand, is the complete opposite. She has organized a "Green Team" at our school to get kids involved, and Friday (the day before vacation) involved an absolutely fantastic Green Day event.

First, there was a sorting of classroom recycling bins into bottles, cans, newspaper, mixed paper, and so on done by grade level. (I am Class Advisor for the sophomore class, and we naturally won our competition :-)) After everything was sorted, Kristina pointed out how much trash was still left over, even when you took the recycling we'd done into consideration. It was extremely powerful!

Next, each grade was given a bin full of stuff, some recyclable and some not. A scavenger hunt ensued, with requested items ranging from #6 bottles to yogurt containers to a chewed piece of gum (oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that gloves were provided ...) to a signed hall pass to ... well, you get the idea. The picture above is actually of my sophomores sorting through during the scavenger hunt (I cannot believe I managed to get a picture that doesn't show anyone's face :-)). And yes, we won the scavenger hunt, too :-)

Finally, each grade was asked to make a class pledge related to the environment. Kristina had provided some information for jump-off ideas on the backs of the pledge sheets, and some of the grade levels came up with some great ideas. (My sophomores, obviously cocky from their dual wins, pledged to "recycle properly" ... le sigh, but I guess you can't win them all). During this time, members of the Green Team shared "factoids" about recycling both fascinating and frightening.

So what do you think about Earth Day? Is there more buy-in as time progresses? Is it too little, too late? Or do you think that it's blown out of proportion?

Oh, and how cool is it that my little tiny rural school has such an amazing event? Kristina (and the Green Team students, of course) should get an award for all their hard work :)

6 comments:

  1. I hope it's not too little too late! I recycle, but we still have a lot of garbage that goes out. I feel so bad everytime I close another full bag. But I have cut down on coffee cups because I use my mug, and we're going to repair our solar panels on our roof soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Earth Day is truly important if only to remind us we are on a giant space called Earth. If we foul up the corridors, there is no other one to go to.

    And I hereby award Kristina and her helpers The Super Troopers Award. It carries no money, no trophy, just the memory of being champions, Roland

    And no, I am not that gunslinger. But I write of another : an undead Texas Ranger who struggles to find meaning in a world so often without it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops. Meant giant space SHIP called Earth. Never forget to edit. Roland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every **** day is Earth Day. I want to smack the people who live wasteful, consumerist lives on every day BUT that day. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I'm not really "into" it like some people are, but that's not to say I'm careless either. I think it's great so many people are finding new ways to recycle and reuse things, as well as take care of the Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't have Earth Day in the UK, buy we're slowly getting into recycling. Our kids generation are more eco-aware than us and thankfully they are taking the lead.

    Let's the idea of Earth Day spreads across the globe.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...