Sunday, February 21, 2010

Reservation Reservations


The girls and I just got back from a great brunch with my mother. The highlight, as usual, was the chocolate fountain, although the meal was in general the amazing experience that brunch at The Old Salt usually is.

Belle and I stayed at Andy's last night and planned to be at my mother's at 10:30 this morning to go to brunch at eleven. When we arrived, my mother sheepishly told us that she hadn't made reservations until this morning ... and that the earliest reservation they had available was for 12:30. My mom was very apologetic for not making reservations earlier, but I was thinking about something else.

Okay, I know that common sense isn't my strong suit and maybe I'm just seeing this wrong, but I find it hard to believe that, had we gone to the restaurant at quarter of eleven or so, we would have been waiting until 12:30 to be seated. I didn't want to point this out to my mother, who has even less common sense than I and was already feeling badly about our brunch being put off an hour and a half, but it seemed strange to me. I mean, I didn't mind waiting until 12:30; it was just the reaction that the restaurant had to a reservation request that gave me pause. In this day and age of call ahead seating and internet updates, has the concept of reservations become obsolete is, I guess, the big question here.

Am I confused for no good reason? Perhaps there's a really solid explanation for why the restaurant operates this way. Again, they offer a really amazing brunch and I didn't mind waiting, it just piqued my curiosity.

2 comments:

  1. Funny, I think they scheduled you all for "slow" time. There was no need to put you in at a time that they knew they'd be busy with many other customers. Instead, they scheduled for a time they thought they'd be needing customers. And your poor mom, unwittingly got taken. But, like you said, no real harm done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think you missed "brunch" and instead wound up with "linner." I agree, you might have done better just to show up instead of letting them shunt you to a more convenient time. But then, you can either choose to go back on your own terms next time (no reservation), or somewhere else. Vote with your feet. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...