Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The More Things Change, the More They Stay the Same

So Pythagorus fell off the wagon yet again. Hard.

I don't feel guilty writing that here, by the way. No, I think in the great scheme of things, I took the highest of the high roads this evening. And it's not like it's the first time this has happened (okay, I feel a little bit bad for writing that here).

So basically, he wanted to see Belle for dinner. He knows I don't get out of work until three and started texting at about 3:30 wanting to know where I was since he'd been waiting for two hours. That pretty much gave me an indication, and talking to him on the phone made it even more clear. Once I saw him, there wasn't a doubt in my mind, but I already had Belle so I decided to just try to get through dinner, get Belle home, then bring him back (an hour and a half drive, by the way) to his parents' house.

He picked a fight with me all during dinner, kept making cracks at how I always accused him of drinking when he wasn't, swore up and down he hadn't been drinking, staggered across a parking lot holding Belle (and I could kill him for that, I swear to God), and thought that chewing on cough drops and a wad of gum bigger than Pamela Anderson's boob would overpower the stench of wine. However, he passed out in the car when I was bringing Belle home, so I figured at least it would be safe to bring him home.

I was quite wrong there. I'm not getting into it, but suffice it to say that my arm hurts and has a bruise on it, that I was tormented emotionally (which hurt even worse), and that he further proved that he is the most insensitive human being on the planet. When somebody knows some of your dirty and horrendous secrets, what does it say about him that he brings them up and basically rubs your nose in the worst thing that's ever happened to you?

And you know what I did? Nothing. I didn't take him to the hospital to be admitted or to the police station to be arrested, although either would have documented his blood alcohol level when he was having visitation with Belle and would certainly have solidified my position that he not be allowed unsupervised visits with her. Nope, I didn't want him to get in trouble, so I let him take it out on me instead. I am such an idiot.

Divorce is a foregone conclusion now. However, I can't help but notice that the behavior he is exhibiting now is EXACTLY what he was doing last year when this whole alcoholism thing reared its ugly head. He blamed his job, he blamed me, he blamed a lot of things for his problem, but the truth is, he makes his own issues. He has had more fresh starts and second chances than you can imagine, and he's pissed Sutter Home chardonnay all over them.

So why has it taken me this long to figure that out? Why do I always end up feeling sorry for him? I realize that alcoholism is a disease, but this is beyond what I've ever seen. This was the last time I expect to see him--someone else can supervise his visitations with Belle, and sad as it is to say, I'm not sure how much longer he'll be around for. His liver must look like swiss cheese by now :( Anyway, I think he's finally driven the point home for good: the more things change, the more they stay the same.

I'm a slow learner, but I'm not a complete idiot. I've got it, Pythagorus. I've got it.

And now I've got my life back, too.

5 comments:

  1. I don't believe that alcoholism is a disease. It's a choice. My brother made a "conscious" decision to reach for the bottle. How do I know this? Because he hid in the garage to drink and drank coffee after to mask the stench. He no longer drinks (well, we haven't caught him) but I know he would if given the chance. We had to lock up the booze when mom and I went on vacation.

    I'm so sorry you and Belle are going through this! What they both need it to be left alone to hit rock bottom. Unfortunately, my mom won't let him, even though the rest of us (the sibs) are telling her to do it.

    Good luck and take care of yourselves!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you realize the futility of accomodating an alcoholic. They will always take, take, take from their enablers (you), and when you resist or object, then it's YOUR fault. The only way you can deal with an alcoholic is to ostracize them, prevent them from contaminating your life further with their chaos.
    People choose alcoholics because someow they recognize their dysfunctional, chaotic behavior as something familiar, so they choose what they know. That's how you wound up with him, and that's why you've been with him as long as you have. But now it's time to shun the known, because you realize it doesn't work. Embrace the unknown, because it's better than what you have. Do not feel sorry for him, for it's his life and his choices that he made, not yours. Look out for yourself, because no one else is going to.
    Read "Bradshaw On: The Family," a book by John Bradshaw (also a ten-part video series), which explains alcoholic families and their behavior as a mathematically-predictable model. Fantastic work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very very sad, but I'm glad you finally got it. Begin living for yourself and your children. The shenanigans of the Pythagorus is not your problem. Don’t try and fix his messes for him. Dont let his problem bring you down, life is to short.
    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When someone decides not to help themselves, there is nothing you can do about it and you're right to move on now. Protect yourself and your children, whatever it takes.

    I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't been reading your blog lately and just tuned in. Now I feel like I've been missing a lot. I was wallowing in my own troubles and writing on them on my blog. Reading your blog makes me realize that life is a challenge for us all, and that undeserving troubles fall upon good people besides me. I hope that things get better for you as I hope the same for me.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...