Thursday, December 3, 2009

RIP, Boy

I just learned that one of my former students has passed away.

He was an extremely smart, creative, witty young man when I knew him, and a talented artist. I haven't seen him in several years, but those are the things that I remember. I don't know the circumstances of his life since he was a freshman in high school, but that really doesn't matter in the great scheme of things.

As a writer, I know that I can honor him best by capturing what I remember about him. I will do that. Tonight, in fact. I won't post it here, though. I won't post it anywhere. I have never lost a student to death before (although I've lost a few to jail), and I'm just speechless. Speechless and sad.

My heart goes out to his family and friends. I am sure that he left an indelible mark on them--as he left an indelible mark on me. In my mind, he will always be volunteering to read parts of Romeo and Juliet out loud or writing weekly papers in his distinctive handwriting. Listening to music. Telling stories.

Rest in peace, boy. I will never forget you.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry ... simply heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually teachers leave their mark on students.... how nice that he left his mark on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what to say but "I'm sorry." I agree with Marvin--it's so wonderful that he made his mark on you before he passed. *Hugs.*

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's horrible news. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to venture and just share a viewpoint... I think as a man I always go into a mode of helping and not "just listening"...

    I have a current connection with a teacher I mentioned in my last entry on your blog awhile back... going through this exact thing. After listening for about an hour last night I offered these suggestions... Maybe sharing positive things about the person with other teachers that knew the student as well could help you deal with it? Maybe sending something to the family sharing your thoughts? For me when I had a death that was shocking getting something about 90 days out really made a big positive impact in my life. Maybe that would work for you?

    I just share those as ideas not as anything you "should" do just ideas to consider.

    Kindest regards,
    Tom Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not lost a student to death yet. I can't imagine. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry to hear this. Hope you're coping okay.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...