Sunday, December 13, 2009

The First Artificial Tree

Well, we finally got the Christmas tree put up this weekend and, for the first time, it's an artificial tree.

Christmas used to be a very special time for my family. However, between my stepdad dying two days before Christmas and now trying not to think about past Christmases when Pythagorus was with me, I am a hard-core Scrooge this year. I'm a freaking Grinch!

But Belle really wanted a Christmas tree, so my mother got an artificial tree. It's a very nice artificial tree, but it's still an artificial tree. I think we need to get a pine candle or something, I don't know ... something's missing.

Perhaps what's missing is the adventure. Pythagorus and I spent more than one happy weekend day in December over the years going and cutting a tree. It would not be the same without him (not to mention that I would probably cut my finger off with the saw or something).

Anyway, what do you think? Do you go real or artificial?

4 comments:

  1. Yes, the whole threat of fire, and sap on the floor, and having to water it, and dropping needles everywhere, etc. THAT's what's missing. I wouldn't miss it, myself. ;-) Besides, alien allergies demand a hypoallergenic tree.

    As far as control-freak people, that's exactly why I ignore most of my family. Meddlesome, gossipy and co-dependent are the nicer aspects. Ergo, I live millions of miles away and I never see them. Or talk to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up, we had a stone fireplace that took up an entire wall. At Christmastime, my brothers would work at tree lots and ask to take the loose branches home. Then they'd bind them together to make a HUGE (6x6 ft.) wreath that they'd place next to the fire. I don't think we had an actual tree til I was about 14.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family uses the same artificial tree every year. We bought it when we first bought a house--like fourteen years ago? Back then, we had a normal ceiling, but now we have a ceiling that opens all the way up to the second floor, so the tree looks really dinky. But it's tradition. And more eco-friendly? I like unpacking the same tree every year, so it's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there. christmas is what you make of it. I learned that the hard way one year. I kept waiting and waiting for the christmas spirit to hit me--until about a week before christmas when I realized it wasn't going to, until I decided I wanted it.
    Not that you need to, sometimes it's okay to take a year off.
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...