Thursday, November 5, 2009

RETTOP YRRAH: The Philosophy in Reading "Harry Potter" Backwards

I realize the title of this post might be misleading. When I say, "Read Harry Potter backwards", obviously I don't mean the words.

Well, let me back up for a minute.

I was in the school library with my Poetry class today so they could have computer access to get their lyrics project due tomorrow finished up. Since they were working so diligently (or at least were making it appear so well enough to convince both me and the librarian), I started browsing the stacks looking for something to read.

The craziest thing happened then ... I reached the R section and saw all seven Harry Potter books lined up neatly on the shelf. This, of course, included the second one, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. And with that, my day was made.

I had an extremely tumultuous summer. As I always do in times of extreme stress, I read. Like, I read obsessively. And one of the things that I found myself with a desire to read was the Harry Potter series. The problem, of course, is that I could only find the last one, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows; the series starter Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone was nowhere to be found (I was moving ... it was beyond chaos). My urge to read the series again was so great, however, that I started reading it the only way I could--from the ending to the beginning.

Now, I realize this wouldn't work for a lot of people. If you're not familiar with the books, it would be essentially pointless to start with the seventh. However, since I have a tendency to reread books more than is probably healthy, I suspected I'd be able to muddle through somehow.

What I didn't expect, though, is what a tremendous learning experience it was for me. Obviously, I knew as both an English teacher and a reader myself that J.K. Rowling might have sold the first book as children's literature but that subsequent books in the series were more political and social commentary than fantasy tales for kids.

The part I missed, though, and the part that I would have hoped I'd have gotten more quickly given the name of my blog, is the philosophy brought forward in Rowling's brilliant series. Had I not read the series backwards, I would have missed a great deal.

An obvious example is Ron Weasley's dual jealousy of and pride in his best friend, Harry Potter. One of seven children, Ron never seemed to get his chance in the spotlight, and becoming bosom buddies with the most famous magician ever born certainly continued the struggle. Ron has his moment in the sun in the seventh book; he is a true hero. When you read through Book 6 then Book 5 then Book 4 then Book 3, you see the true conflict--both internal as he struggles within himself and external as he becomes Harry's staunchest supporter--experienced by this boy. You appreciate how cheap his own successes always seemed next to the glory of Harry's constant defeat of evil, how small his joys when compared to Harry's. I got this, obviously, reading the books in order, but I didn't get it until I read them backwards.

And then there's the whole Snape thing. I once heard Snape referred to by a college English professor as "no more than the ultimate red herring", but that was a cop-out answer if I've ever heard one. Snape was never acting, not pretending a bit, when he bullied and berated Harry Potter--he honestly hated the boy, and his harsh treatment makes the reader find Snape pretty despicable too. That Snape protects Harry out of love is perhaps the most shocking conclusion ... and when you finish the seventh book, it's really easy to see Snape's nobler points. Certainly they existed; Harry Potter was well aware of them as he eventually named one of his own children after Severus Snape. However, reading the book backwards, fully aware of the "Snape protected a child he legitimately (and perhaps understandably) hated out of a pure and eternal love" thesis gives the dynamic between Harry and the potions master a whole new depth, a level of complexity that cannot be achieved by reading the books in chronological order.

Anyway, school started back up just as I finished Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and I couldn't find my copy of Chamber of Secrets to save my life. Well, I took it out of the library today, and I cannot wait to read it (I stupidly forgot it at school).

I am especially excited, in case you're wondering, at exploring the nature of Dobby's relationship with Harry in terms of what you learn about Dobby later in the series (and particularly the sacrifice made by the house elf in the final book).

Does this make any sense to anybody, or have I gone completely off the deep end?

Wait, don't answer that ;)

8 comments:

  1. No-I have recently been rereading the series (forward, though). It's my second full time through, though I have read individual books several times each in isolation. It was clear that virtually every nuance was planned well in advance, and the notion that Rowling flipped it from a children's story to an adult series is ludicrous. The early books speak more to children because Harry was a child in them, and saw his world as a child would. The storytelling matures with Harry. As for Snape and Harry-no scene was more delicious after knowing the full nature of their relationship than the first occlumency lesson. Snape is so angry-not bullying Harry for his own empowerment but genuinely ANGRY that Harry can't master it. Clearly Snape associates this "heart-on-his-sleeve" that makes Harry so poor at occlumency trait with James, and possibly sees it as a reason that Lily loved him. On top of that, "the Boy Who Lived" is failing at something that Snape, who has the ultimate thankless job that by its nature has to be devoid of recognition and glory, HAS to be perfect at to protect his own life. It's like the whole Lily situation is being thrown in his face by virtue of his greatest skill. It was fantastic.

    I am disappointed in Dobby's exclusion from the film versions. His pivotal role in the 7th installment is now going to seem completely out of left field. For me his key line from TCOS, knowing everything, is "Dobby has never been asked to sit in the presence of a wizard." It shows so plainly why he has such seemingly blind devotion to Harry. It isn't blind, and it has nothing to do with Harry's fame: he felt respected.

    I would also spare some thoughts for Draco Malfoy and Neville Longbottom. Malfoy is so wonderfully young, both in terms of what he finds important and how he addresses it. He lies, taunts, and cheats, yet when forced to attempt actual evil deeds, he hides in the bathroom and cries. The Neville in the later books is foreshadowed a tiny bit in TSS, but he turns from comic relief into the man that only the Sorting Hat would have predicted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just as spelling errors leap out at you when you read a sentence backwards, foreshadowing leaps out at you when you read the chapters in reverse order, and the books in reverse order.

    The thing I noticed about her work is that she took a lot longer to move the story forward in later books. Many more words, much more minutiae, with not much value added. I like a page-turner, a story that moves swiftly. The first book was like that, and somewhat the second, but things had gone quite downhill by book 6. Conversely, though, I'm liking the movies more as they progress. The book format enhances the characters when they are children. The film format enhances the characters as they reach adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. Truly! I reread books too, and especially Harry Potter books. Now, I tend to reread them in no particular order, usually going for my most favourite ones (3,5).

    I agree with all the stuff you said, and I got it reading the series in the correct order, however, now your post makes me think of what else I might learn by reading it backward, or any other series for that matter. I shall try that experiment, and see what happens.

    That's creative thinking, and glad you shared it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might be the only person who has never ever read any of the Harry Potter books..... but have seen little excerpts on TV.

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  5. No Maggie you aren't alone, I haven't read the books nor seen the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggie, you're not alone. I haven't read the books and have only seen one movie.

    I do appreciate what her books have done -- loved the mad craze when her books were released. I think it probably inspired many kids to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting insights.
    And a few spoilers for me, as that one of Snape's relationship with Harry towards the end for the story. Now, I'm more curious than I have ever been!
    I suppose every one has their own perception of the Harry Potter series. And each will enjoy it in their own way, whether it is from an analytic point of view, whether it's in the traditional order, or backwards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading Fanfiction can also help you analyse the series.For example after reading Partially Kissed Hero I realised I hated Dumbledork and liked the Dark Lord better.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...