Monday, November 2, 2009

Oinking Away at the Media

Okay, so what's your take on the swine flu pandemic? This "health emergency"? I ask because I'm completely disgusted with the media coverage and the huge amount of misinformation.

I spent last week home with H1N1. I felt like crap and was very scared at how high my fever got a couple of times and was blown away by how tired and sore your body can feel when you've done nothing more strenuous than lift a remote control (yes, I was too sick to read for much of the week--and for me, that's SICK).

It was pretty yucky, but when push comes to shove, it was just the flu. It wasn't much different than other times I had the flu. Now, granted, I did get on Tamiflu the first day I showed symptoms...but by the same token, I also ended up with an early case of pneumonia as a side effect of the pig thing, so I think I'm fairly representative.

Why all the media hoopla? Is it warrented? And even more importantly, why is there so much misinformation out there--and why do people believe it?

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that you had H1N1. I had to it too and it was miserable; worse than regular flu (but I didn't get Tamiflu). Still I didn't think it was worth the media frenzy until my cousin got it and she ended up on a respirator and in intensive care for two weeks. I think it just depends on the case, but it can be very, very serious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a way for the media to cause hysteria. There particular fun time. Remember the bird flu that the media got everyone in a panic about years ago.

    While you hear all about the deaths that H1N1 take, how come they never bring up the deaths of the common influenza virus?? Guess what deaths there too people.

    I didn't get an H1N1 vaccine, nor a regular flu vaccine. If I get the flu, I'll ride it out. Call me a rebel. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all a conspiracy to frighten people into believing something that is not true. And yes I'm sure some cases are worse than others however so is the regular everyday flu. It depends on an individual's health and how they treat it. My opinion anyway, Nova

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter had it. It is just the flu. I think it's that there are some people that have gotten very sick and it's a new flu. But, it is well overblown. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...