Friday, October 9, 2009

Trying (Unsuccessfully) to Alleviate Loneliness

Do you ever feel so alone, so misunderstood that it makes you crazy? The thing is, I don't even know if "loneliness" is the right word.

I guess that it's just sometimes the people you want to talk to, the people you thought would always be there, just disappear sometimes.

I'm guilty of this, too, of course. I've been avoiding a couple of my best friends that have been calling, e-mailing, texting ... because sometimes you just don't know where to start :(

Why do the actions (or non-actions, if you will) of others play such an impact in a person's psyche? Why can't you just go through life alone and not have to believe in other people? It would certainly make life easier, I sometimes think.

Eh, things will look brighter in the morning, when I'll still be lonely (or whatever the hell I am) but I won't care as much.

Hopefully.

6 comments:

  1. Yes I described it as feeling broken, hang in there its all a part of the rollercoaster

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're feeling a little better today. It's awful feeling lonely, and misunderstood, but it does get better. We do get past it, and find another way. But it hurts while it lasts. It's funny, how sometimes, when you're feeling the worst, you do need to withdraw for a time; but we come back, ready, to interact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel; was going through a similar mix of emotions during a break up. I found that solitude is, indeed, different from loneliness and embracing solitude only makes you stronger. And some of the things that make life so difficult are the same ones that give it immortal texture. Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah....it would be easier, but we're relational. created that way. so even though you're temporarily shutting out friends, you're still blogging...which meets that need. :)

    hope things get better.
    jeannie
    The Character Therapist

    ReplyDelete
  5. adjusting to the loneliness is the worst part. for me it just takes time and before you know it you've re-found that ability to entertain yourself in ways you've forgotten about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As cynical as it sounds, sometimes it is just easier to expect for people to let you down. I've been at the place where there's too much to think about, let alone even begin to explain to others (even though you know it would probably help to talk to someone). The only thing that keeps me going is that in order to know what happiness is, one needs to truly experience sadness. Whenever I'm tempted to give up, I think of Robert Frost:

    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...