Sunday, June 21, 2009

Cemeteries

This morning, I went to my stepdad's grave to plant a flower for Father's Day. It was a yellow flower, very cheerful and upbeat. My stepdad was a very cheerful and positive person, utterly remarkable in too numerous to count ways. I miss him each and every day.

While I was at the cemetery, I looked around and made an observation that hit me like the proverbial ton of bricks. Every single gravestone in the cemetery had been put up by a grieving family, people who cared deeply about the deceased. There were varied signs of visitation, of course, although the cemetery was aflutter with American flags and there were a lot of very pretty flowers around. Some of the headstones were accompanied by little benches with inspirational quotations, some with angels or other statues, and others with fairly elaborate landscaping.

Death is the one common in life, of course, the great equalizer. It doesn't matter if you're a prince or a pauper, you'll end up the same way when all is said and done.

I know this isn't a very happy post ... this is just a sad day for me on a number of levels. I actually visited my father yesterday, which I'm glad about since I was much more positive yesterday. It was nice to be cheerful for him, since I don't see him as often as I should.

Happy Father's Day, Gordo. Love you!

8 comments:

  1. I wouldn't say this is a sad post, but I can understand you feeling sad. Father's Day has always been a little weird for me too because my dad died when I was a baby. My mom didn't remarry until I was an adult and out of the house, so I never had a step-dad. In fact, I bought my first Father's Day card in 1990 after our daughter was born.

    I'm glad you could visit your father as well as your step-dad's gravesite. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You may be a king, you may be a street sweeper, but sooner or later you dance with the reaper" (-Death, in Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey). I'm very tired...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good reminder for us to give thanks to all the men who've loved and cared for us while they're still here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Father's Day post turned out not to be a very happy one, but for a different reason. I'm glad you had your stepdad and have your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fathers are wonderful! That's awesome that so many recognized the wonderful men in their lives no matter where they may be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post serve as a good reminder that every soul should press on building a remarkable legacy for our loved ones. Death is unavoidable thing, but your father has left a sweet memory for you to think about, the things that he had done for you and I am deeply glad to see you paid him a visit at his cemetery.

    Your post has driven me to follow your father's footstep. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry this day is not a completely happy one for you. Remember that while you miss him terribly, his positive impact on your life has helped guide you into the wonderful person you are now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful post, and I'm sorry for your loss and the sadness you've felt. But thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...