Sunday, June 21, 2009

Cemeteries

This morning, I went to my stepdad's grave to plant a flower for Father's Day. It was a yellow flower, very cheerful and upbeat. My stepdad was a very cheerful and positive person, utterly remarkable in too numerous to count ways. I miss him each and every day.

While I was at the cemetery, I looked around and made an observation that hit me like the proverbial ton of bricks. Every single gravestone in the cemetery had been put up by a grieving family, people who cared deeply about the deceased. There were varied signs of visitation, of course, although the cemetery was aflutter with American flags and there were a lot of very pretty flowers around. Some of the headstones were accompanied by little benches with inspirational quotations, some with angels or other statues, and others with fairly elaborate landscaping.

Death is the one common in life, of course, the great equalizer. It doesn't matter if you're a prince or a pauper, you'll end up the same way when all is said and done.

I know this isn't a very happy post ... this is just a sad day for me on a number of levels. I actually visited my father yesterday, which I'm glad about since I was much more positive yesterday. It was nice to be cheerful for him, since I don't see him as often as I should.

Happy Father's Day, Gordo. Love you!