Friday, June 5, 2009

The Allure of a Dunking Booth (and the Evident Masochism of Human Nature)

Today was Field Day at my school. It seemed that lots of fun was had by all (including me).

I ended up supervising the dunking booth (all staff had a "station", and the word was you'd get assigned perimeter duty if you didn't volunteer for something). What this ended up meaning is that I was the first person sitting on the platform of the dunking booth ... and, consequently, the first person to get dunked.

Now, I love the water. I've been swimming in the New Hampshire Atlantic twice already this year and had my feet in Lake Winnapesaukee in early March. The idea of being dunked didn't bother me, nor did the dunking itself. Truthfully, none of it bothered me, per se. It was just ... odd to see a certain side of human nature.

What does it say about humanity when people come in droves and line up to throw a ball at a little tiny target for the sole purpose of knocking someone into a big bucket of freezing cold water?

It was kind of funny, actually. I forgot my contact lenses in the car (I was running VERY late this morning, so I figured I'd just pop them in when I got to school, but I had morning duty so I had to be there earlier than usual, then my gas light came on so I had to stop and get gas ... yeah, one of those mornings), so I ended up wearing my (rather expensive Ralph Lauren) glasses onto the dunking platform. They flew off on the first "dunk", and I had to fish them out with my foot. I gave them to a kid to put on my backpack, which he kindly did, then I realized that some of the kids were giving me a hard time for not going under when I got dunked (I'm 5'2", so it's not like I wasn't pretty much soaked). Well, the next four times I got dunked, you'd better believe I went fully under : )

Then my supervising colleague had a turn so I could warm up, then I went back up so she could warm up, and so on. We finally got enough other teachers to brave the dunking platform so we could both actually get changed out of our "dunking attire" and stuff. That water was freezing, and it wasn't exactly warm in New Hampshire today.

This probably sounds like I'm complaining, but I'm honestly not. I had a fabulous time today, a great chance to relax with my students, my colleagues, and my friends. I enjoyed being in the dunking booth, but the ferocity and intensity that some (of all ages) brought to the task at hand was just ... odd.

Anyway, what do you think the allure of a dunking booth is? Do you think it would be entertaining to cause another person discomfort if it's in the name of fun? Would you ever go into a dunking booth : )?

7 comments:

  1. How brave of you! I remember Field Day in elementary school, and I have to be honest. The dunking booth is everyone's favorite. Who doesn't love watching the principal take a dive? I think kids like it because it's fun to "punish" an authority figure. Am I thinking too deeply about this? Authority figures are always so terrifying to children, and it's cool to see them get a little goofy and very satisfying to stick it to them. Even in a good-natured way.

    I would never do the dunking booth myself. I hate water going up my nose. If I were waterboarded, I'd probably die. I can swim, but I hate diving. I hate anything that involves going deep beneath the surface. I'm convinced I'm just naturally buoyant and can't sink. While reading Percy Jackson, the idea of him going hundreds of feet into the ocean makes my nose and head hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember going to a church feast once where they had a dunking booth. These carnies only made money when people paid for the chance to dunk the rude clown. This guy would hurl the funniest insults at anyone passing by trying to goad them into buying the balls. He made lots of cash that night. lol

    Glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why, but the dunking booth has a certain allure to me (particularly if someone I know is the target).

    No offense, but I can just imagine being a student and getting the opp to dunk my teacher. All the times he/she were in control, now, I would be. Very fun.

    I also think it would be fun to be in the booth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know either. My boys want to rent one this summer and do a combined birthday party for both of them. I don't know the cost of it, but I am thinking its not a bad idea.

    We went to a graduation party last summer that had one. Not very many people wanted to be dunked, so my son took full advantage and was the dunkee the whole time we were there.

    What a good sport you are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally making it back around to visiting posts... it has been so long!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that some of the people were using the dunking booth to settle some unspoken vendettas....Just joking :)Freezing water?! Brrrr...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a good question. I'd never do one...I'm not really into unexpected or wet situations. And I don't think I'd throw a ball at one. I felt bad enough at Shoot the Freak at Coney Island!

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...