Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Facebook Fan Here


I love Facebook. I think it's beyond cool that people you haven't seen in years and, in many cases, will never see again can be accessible through the click of a button.

Part of it with me is that I'm an incredibly nosy person. I like to see what's shaking with people, how my high school and college classmates are doing, and talking to people in a way that's somehow easier than e-mail. I mean, you log onto one account and can easily access everybody. It's genius : )

Sharing pictures is another valuable tool in the Facebook repertoire. I love pictures, and I've seen some pretty tremendous photography (and the pics are by people I actually know, which makes it somehow even cooler) via Facebook.

I am shocked sometimes by the status update feature. I tend to be very honest in my status updates, and sometimes I'll get to work and some of my co-workers will be like, "Is Belle feeling better? How was dinner with your mom? Your brother's baby is beautiful! What the hell is going on that you're posting Nirvana song lyrics?" and so on and so forth. When I was in the hospital a couple of months ago, I think I would have gone crazy without Facebook (which is in itself probably not the healthiest statement, I suppose :-)). It was wonderful to get so many well wishes and to be able to update people on the pancreatic turmoil without having to use the telephone (I deplore the telephone).

I realize that there is a dark side to both Facebook and that other social networking site (I have one of those as well, but only to keep tabs on Addie ... I do that through my Facebook too). However, for me, the joys of reconnecting with so many of my old friends (and having another way to communicate with new ones as well) make it more than worth it.

What do you think? Do you have a Facebook? A MySpace? If not, why? If so, do you love it as much as I do? Do you think sites like this are dangerous for children? At what age is it "okay" for a kid to have a Facebook or MySpace? Do you think it's wrong for parents to "spy on" their kids through these sites (note--Addie is well aware that the moment I am no longer her "friend" on either of these sites, she will not be allowed to have an account anymore, so I guess in my case "spy on" is not exactly accurate)?

19 comments:

  1. Not sure how I feel about it...but I agree with you...those who first thought of it are genius! ~Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love facebook too but I generally ignore mine for lack of time. It's fun seeing old friends though... sort of like one never ending high school and family reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far, I've been avoiding FaceBook just because of time constraints! I don't know how long I'll be able to hold out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I joined MS because 2 friends said I should. I love how user-friendly it is. I went to FB when a bunch of MS'ers joined. I dislike it intensely! Not very user-friendly, imo. But I have reconnected with old school friends, so I guess it's been worth it.

    As far as kids go, all the negativity annoys me. It's not the SITE, it's the USER! Advice (for kids):

    1) Don't add anyone you don't already know in person.
    2) Don't EVER agree to meet a stranger!!!!!!!!

    If people (not only kids) followed these rules, they'd (more than likely) avoid trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it OK...I never sign on. I'm awful about it! LOL I did sign on Sunday because all of the birthday greetings...I felt bad!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love facebook! I'm such a social butterfly and in my current town, I can't get out to see anyone (no public transportation) so facebook has been an so nice! I love that you can set it up to be as public or as private as you want it to be and still get the benefit of keeping in touch wish so many! Yep, it's love here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Ignore all the typos... I just wanted to add that I keep track of my nieces on it as well and they're perfectly aware that's what I'm doing as well. I don't think spying is a good thing but I do think boundaries are and letting kids know where you stand and keeping track of them is definitely a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only been on it since February of this year, but I've connected with friends I've lost touch with for over 25 years. I think that's really cool. My 18-year-old has a FB account and so does my husband, but my other kids don't have them. Not yet anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Facebook is pretty awesome! You can find me there at my full name: Michelle Davidson Argyle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have my hands full with the kids and the blogs and the writing. :D

    FB, like anything else in life, can have its dangers. That's why it's important for parents to know what their kids are doing--esp. on the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Facebook. I've caught up with so many friends from high school that way. Sometimes all the games and gifts and requests get to be a bit overwhelming, but it's wonderful for keeping up with people.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've not actually tracked anyone down from my past, most of them I don't want to ever see again, but it's a great way to stay in touch with people.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where else can you get "virtually" drunk on drinks your friends send you. LOL

    My friends kept sending me join requests for facebook but I resisted for a long time, I've seen peoples myspace pages and I felt it really was "kiddish" not trying to be a snob or anything, just wasn't my thing, so I also resisted Facebook but reluctantly joined when a coworker asked me too, I like it I know I'd be on it a lot more if I had better access to my computer, it's currently being shared by 2 other people and one of them is ALWAYS on it.

    It's fun and I like seeing all the acquaintences I've lost touch with.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like Facebook...but I am getting sick of finding out the results to all my friends' (countless) quizzes, and updates that are banal. I prefer unique, creative status updates...I've actually unfriended some people because they were so boring!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm on Facebook, but it's difficult to find me because of a few complications. Currently I'm the "Justus Bowman" profile with a picture of my arms holding my baby.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do think they're a little dangerous for kids, but I love mine! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was hooked on Facebook for a week. Maybe I sign on once in a while for a goof. I have 22 friends! My wife is in Real Estate and for that, Facebook is awesome. Maybe I'll get back into it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have enjoyed it as well. You never know who is going to pop up and I love all the old and new connections I've made. I forget too sometimes though about the stuff I've thrown out there , and then it is a little weird when you know you haven't seen someone, but they know something about you :) You'd think I'd get used to that!

    I agree about the kids too. As long as they share with me, its okay. But mine are still too young. I'm sure its just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have mixed feelings. I don't have an "official" myspace page or facebook page. I signed up under a false name/e-mail address just so I could look at people's stuff. I once mystalked an ex-boyfriend (just looked him up to see what he's been up to, stuff like that). I feel weird thinking that anyone can access info about me anywhere anytime even though you can set privacy controls AND I also think there is a reason I didn't stay in touch with a lot of people that I would probably be friends with on facebook. Sometimes I long to have a profile and hang with the facebook kids, other times I happy that I didn't get sucked into it. I've also heard story after story of lots of drama...she's friends with who? she posted what picture? she wrote what in her status?? I don't know, I think I'm probably better off without it.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...