Sunday, April 12, 2009

So What's with this Rabbit Rising from the Dead?

Socrates said, "As for me, all I know is that I know nothing." I freaking love that guy.

Okay, talking about religion is a very dicey subject. You are more than likely going to offend somebody, no matter what you say. Therefore, I'm going to try to skirt around religious dogma as I try to make a point that really doesn't have a whole lot to do with religion, but I sort of need that example to make sense.

I'm with Socrates. I'm fairly well-educated, I spend an enormous amount of time thinking about various things, I read almost obsessively, and I crave intellectual discourse. However, I've come to the conclusion that the more I allegedly know, the less I'm sure of. It's all about planes of thought and how you're looking at things, and it's kind of frightening how lost you can feel the more you know.

One of my major pet peeves, perhaps as a result, is that I cannot stand people who think they know everything. I cannot understand why some people memorize something they perceive as fact then stick to that same interpretation. It drives me especially crazy when these same people look down on others for not sharing their interpretation.

I'm vocalizing this now because it's occurred to me this weekend how ignorant some professed Christians are about the holiday of Easter. I was raised Roman Catholic and, although I'm no longer practicing (the church and I parted ways over our differing interpretation of Addie's worth considering that she was born out of wedlock), those long hours of CCD from first grade through sophomore year of high school did provide me with a solid base in terms of religious education. Reading the Bible several times on my own and studying various other religions have given me even further knowledge. However, "As for me, all I know is that I know nothing." The concept of God is both reassuring and terrifying, the thought of what's out there--as Stephen King wrote, "There are other worlds than these"--beyond all comprehension, at least as far as I'm concerned.

The first thing that really set my teeth on edge was the realization that many professed Christians are completely clueless as to what Easter is and what it is celebrating. I heard a scary number of people at the store at several points this weekend talking about how Christ was crucified on Easter Sunday. Then there was the conversation about what and why Lent is. I just looked at the crucifixes around their necks and their pro-life bumper stickers and wondered why. It just reminded me that, in my experience, many of the loudest mouthpieces of religion have little to no understanding of the teachings of Christ, the text of the Bible beyond the clergyman's interpretation, or the value of putting it all into perspective.

Then the more obvious irritation, one obviously shared by many, is the whole Easter Bunny thing. I realize that I'm sort of embodying hypocrisy here--Addie and Belle had an Easter basket from the little furry guy at home, had an egg hunt at my mom's house (and more candy than you can imagine in one place), and will be getting further loot from Pythagorus' parents tomorrow--but where the heck did this rabbit thing come from (that's a rhetorical question ... I don't know the answer, actually, but I'm going to look it up in just a minute now that I've piqued my own curiousity ... it doesn't change the point, though)? Is it okay for Americans to take a religious holiday and complete usurp it into a Hallmark haven?

I'm aware that the same could be said for Christmas, although I'm pretty sure that even most children could tell you, "It's Jesus' birthday", which is maybe why I'm all worked up about this Easter ignorance. If kids could say, "It's the day Jesus rose from the dead and ascended into heaven ... and the Easter Bunny comes and gives us lots and lots and lots of candy," I'd find it a little more tolerable.

Am I way out on a limb here?

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for visiting my blog a while back; I am finally able to return the favor!

    I completely agree with you about the ignorance of the vast majority of Christians. I grew up and remain a Roman Catholic, but knew that even my CCD teachings were woefully inadequate and actually (gasp) educated myself by reading some of the doctors of the Church.

    It frustrates me to no end when people proclaim a widely believed misconception as "truth." Which just emphasizes the lack of education the Church is providing to her flock. Which just makes me more frustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bunnies and eggs=fertility. Easter tends to occur around the vernal equinox, when everything comes back to life. Christians converted Pagans. Connect the dots. I'll give you the Easter coinciding with Passover thing (Jesus went to Jerusalem to celebrate Passover, pissed off the Pharisees, blah blah blah), but what I find more humorous is that it doesn't seem to occur to anybody that the major religions' holidays tend to occur on top of one another, and at times of natural significance. The common themes of Christmas and Hanukkah, to me, can be boiled down to light after darkness...and occur around the winter solstice. But I'm sure that's just a coincidence...

    I get angry about that certain political party taking advantage of the ignorance you speak of, and using people's natural fear ("The concept of God is both reassuring and terrifying"-I agree) of God. Manipulation of faith has worked extremely well for millenia, and I find it enraging. Bush can cut aid to the poor, steal from the national coffers, lie to start a war that results in bloodshed...but as long as he says he's a good Christian, despite all evidence to the contrary, some people are afraid to question him and his ilk. God is lovely, but in many ways I hate religion. That's why I'm a militant agnostic :-)

    P.S. can you write a blog on the difference between atheists and agnostics, while we're on the subject? Talk about ignorant misconceptions, assuming they're one and the same!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be why I do not follow organized religion in any fashion. I follow God in my heart, in my own manner, and leave the hipocracy to the rest of the fools. Don't get me started on how most organized religions today are completely hipocritical anyway. Like why the Catholics allow so many of their own to starve while the Vatican City is full of valuable treasures. I mean, wouldn't it further God's purpose more to have the Pope ride in a less expensive car, live in a less expensive house, and save a few Catholics from starvation? Oh yeah, I wasn't going to get on my soapbox, because I could go on and on and on. Anyway, I agree with what you're saying here wholeheartedly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh mmay bless your heart on the atheist vs. agnostics...it is a huge pet peeve of mine as well.

    I was always under the impression that the flowers, bunnies eggs thing was in regards to birth of spring or something like that. I never really associated with the religious aspect of Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I concur. I do not follow a religion, but am rather eclectic of thing from each I find valuable. Eclectic if you will.

    I see where your coming from, and totally agree.

    I like to view all of these religious holidays as chances to be with family. No matter what insane creature you have to lie about to get it to happen, I think that is my underlying reason for silently ignoring the hippocracy involved with religious holidays.

    Although I was amused that I got chocolate eggs whilst my friend got a lower chest infection... She must have been a bad girl.

    xx Action Wolfe
    actionwolfe.blogspot.com
    love is. art is.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...