Sunday, March 15, 2009

Musings on the Mullet

To my knowledge, there is no other hairstyle that has made as big an impact on American society as the mullet.

Last night, I went out with some of my girlfriends to a hockey game that was "mullet-themed." This included an eighties cover band, great snippets of music, an overall great time ... and mullet wigs.

One of the ladies is a season ticketholder for the minor league hockey team, and she thought "Mullet Night" would be the perfect time to take our friend Josie out for her birthday (it's funny how the stars align like that sometimes ... Josie is a hard-core child of the eighties, and this was just completely her element, so how cool was it that Mullet Night coincided so neatly with her birthday?)

I had a ball, of course, but I also made an interesting (well, to me it was interesting) observation. With virtually every song that was played, a huge percentage of the audience--and we're talking a range of people from four to eighty-four--sang along. What was it about the eighties that struck a chord in so many? Was the music truly so much better?

It's not like the sixties, for example, where the music was kind of a code for deeper messages. It's not like the music of today, a disjointed collection that appeals to small groups but doesn't appear to have that sort of decade-defining power. I don't know anybody that doesn't know the chorus to "You Shook Me All Night Long" or who can't hum along to "The Final Countdown" once it gets going.

What made it such a special time in terms of music ... and mullets?

Speaking of which, here's another pic of me in the mullet wig, just to leave you with a smile : )

5 comments:

  1. haha, I love it! 80's music was very singable for one thing-- melody driven, even the rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY MY COMMENT WORKED! Oh, it's been a frustrating couple of days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly don't know what to say here, but I am just compelled to say something. Heh heh. Mullets and the 80's, what a defining moment of an era. The 80's had so many "bad" things right alongside so many "good" things. In any event, it sounds like you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a helluva mullet! LOL I have to say, I live in Northeastern Pennsylvania, and where I am, man, it's mullet country. I was originally raised in a large, nearby city, so my first experience with a mullet was probably around the time that I DID move up here and I just. Couldn't. Figure it out.

    I mean, come on. 2009 = No mullet zone.

    I've also changed the URL of my website and it's not linking for some reason to the old one, so here it is if you want to check it out!

    www.insertwittyanecdotehere.blogspot.com

    <3!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, reminiscing is half the fun : ) My sister wrote on my Facebook page--"Did they give those out, or was it B-Y-O-M?" I was laughing for quite awhile on that one : )

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...