Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Good Day's Work

Well, I feel like I moved (and played around with) enough old pieces of writing to get some sort of shape to this blog. I'm really excited about it, and hope that people will contribute to some great conversations.

I am so refreshed by the concept of thought. I want to share it with everybody, find out what everybody's thinking--I want to learn and grow. I'm no doubt naive and overreaching, but I guess those are two things I always have been and always will be, so what will be, will be.

I leave you with this, a quote from Socrates I had my students respond to recently:
"As for me, the only thing I know is that I know nothing."

2 comments:

  1. I love this quote! As a teenager I came up with something similar-'The only thing I know for definate about anything is that I know nothing'(Thought I was pretty clever at the time!)
    Was originally gutted when I found out it had already been said...that has passed and now take humble joy out the fact I was on the right path! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you and Socrates : )

    It's funny, kind of like, "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?"

    If you know that you know nothing, you know something--you know that you know nothing.

    But maybe Socrates was being a little tongue-in-cheek, maybe even a little arrogant ... I mean, clearly he knew the regard he was held in as a thinker.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...