Tuesday, March 24, 2009

As the Stomach Churns ...

Okay, I haven't had anything to eat or drink since Friday night. I survived the caffeine withdrawal headache and the feeling of starvation, but I dream of water at night. Like, crystal clear lakes that I can drink from. I wouldn't sell my children for a cup of water, but I might sell my cat.

Anyway, the word was that I couldn't have anything to drink or eat (drink is more important at the moment ... my tongue feels like a wad of cotton) until I went an extended period of time without IV pain meds. So last night, I decided that I wouldn't have IV pain meds ... I didn't care how much it hurt, I was going to have a freaking glass of water in the morning. I made it through the night without taking anything, and I was pretty euphoric when the doctor came in.

Until he told me that I'm having an ERCP at some point today and my state of fasting (including H2O) needs to continue.

Basically, he thinks that my pancreatic duct has partially closed (this has happened before ... I've had numerous surgeries to fix it). Theoretically, he can open it during the ERCP if this is the case.

At this point, I just want to go home. I'll go home and not eat or drink anything, but I'm just done with this whole scene.

Sigh. Sorry about the melodrama ... it's been a long three and a half days.

3 comments:

  1. UGH, K... This sucks! Is this going to be an ongoing thing, now, or do you think they're finally going to get it 'fixed' once and for all? :\

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...