A running joke in one of my classes involves a certain student, Jennifer Smith (*obviously not her real name ... I mean, I use blog pseudonyms for everyone, but just wanted to make clear that I am especially sure to do so when referring to one of my students*).
Jennifer is a great kid, really funny and super-sweet. She is also quite intelligent ... but this is bogged down in what the class now refers to with the utmost affection as "The Smith Delay". To wit:
Student #1: How do you make a tissue dance?
Student #2: You put a little boogie in it.
(Uproarious laughter from the masses ... except for Jennifer)
Jennifer: I don't get it. What's so funny? I don't get it ...
Ms. L: Well, moving on ... Journalism didn't spread in America until just before the American Revolution because there was no real need for it. Newspapers were shipped regularly from England, and--
Jennifer: (Laughs uproariously) Haha, you put a little boogie in it. That's too funny. Haha!!!!!!!!!
Entire Class: The Smith Delay strikes again.
I mean, this happens every day. Well, not that we regularly tell elementary school jokes in class, but you get what I mean. It is just the funniest thing ever. And confession time, I did something really mean today. Jennifer's sister, Emily, came in to ask Jennifer to send a text to their mother at the end of the day. I just couldn't resist ...
Ms. L: Hey, Emily, do you have The Smith Delay?
Emily: (With a confused look on her face) Hunh?
(Entire class laughs uproariously)
Jennifer: That's The Smith Delay.
Emily: I don't get it.
Ms. L: Don't worry, you will in three minutes.
I LOVE MY JOB :-)!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally, this blog was intended to be my take on life, a way to write regularly, and so forth. I'd like to move it in a different direction a bit, using my own lens to contemplate stuff going on in the world. Please comment ... I love conversations!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room
As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...
-
I've been trying to figure out my definition of the word "normal" all afternoon, and I'm having a really hard time with it...
-
Pythagorus is on his way to McDonald's to get lunch for the four of us. I'm getting french fries. I know academically that this is...
-
Friendship is an amazing thing. It's so odd how you can connect so strongly and completely with other people sometimes. Perhaps the be...
Kids can be so great to work with! I have trouble getting jokes sometimes, too, but it's been getting better as I get older. Maybe she's grow out of it!
ReplyDeleteSmart like Jessica Simpson? ;-)
ReplyDeleteLOL!!! I love it! There is one Smith Delay victim in every class it seems!
ReplyDeleteIn my case, it's 'the JJ delay'. I can never tell whether my man is telling me a story or something that really happened. Sometime I have to ask, "Are you making that up?"
ReplyDeleteP.S. I posted my award. : )